has seeing a band live ever ruined their music for you?
May 12, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy
Of course! It happens both ways. Some bands are awesome live, but their albums suck, and some manage to produce convincing stuff at the studio (ProTools, baby!), but fail miserably when playing for real. Sad but true.

Yea perfect example of this is Kiss. Their albums sold like rocks but their concerts sold out. When they finally released Alive! it put them on the spot.

May 13, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #32 of 58
In my middle school years, I liked Yellowcard a lot, until I saw a clip of one of their shows...that lead singer (Ryan Key, right?) had to practically BEG the crowd to join in on his singing, and then he made them sing the same verse over and over again, only louder.

I was so digusted by this that I quit them altogether. This is why I'm into the Beatles, Eric Clapton, Tool, etc. because these guys don't have to act funny and cool; they naturally are, and their talent is mind-blowing.

May 13, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #33 of 58
i saw ashlee simpson live and was pretty disappointed. i wasn't sure if she was lip-syncing or not, and then suddenly she started singing the wrong song and stormed off stage. At first I thought it was part of the act, but after waiting around for an hour for her return, I just left...

I guess she was on her period.

May 13, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #34 of 58
^ Er...didn't you ever hear or see that famous night show, where she totally was busted for lip-synching? The track was the wrong one, so when she paused, you could tell it was pre-recorded...she stood there like a dummy for a few seconds, tried to dance, stopped, then pretended to get mad at her band, and left the stage.

May 13, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #35 of 58
yea, that was on Saturday Night Live lol. she was humiliated in front of America.

May 13, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #36 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
It definitely didn't ruin their music for me, but seeing Stereolab live was a huge disappointment. They just sounded awful - both singers (this was when the other one was still alive) could not stay in pitch with each other and the band was sluggish and completely devoid of rhythm. They are definitely a studio band, for sure.

Seeing the Flaming Lips, on the other hand, turned me from slightly interested into a true fan.

WOW! I saw them early March this year on the Fab Four Suture tour. I was COMPLETLEY BLOWN AWAY by them. The sound at the show was amazing too. I said in a review thread I started about it that it was like a "wall of sound" with bass that I could feel "in the tip of my nose"

I'm a big, big fan and I was afraid that they would let me down, but nothing could be further from the truth. They were very tight, rhythmic and fun that night. Maybe their new music has more zing to it (the new album rocks harder, I think on some tracks). My brother came along, and wasn't really a fan, but loves them now.

Maybe they had a bad night when you saw them?

May 13, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #37 of 58
The Prodigy. Saw them about 10 years ago in Dallas. I know that electronic stuff may be difficult to reproduce live but this show was just unlistenable. It was so bad I actually felt sorry/embarrassed for them. After that crapfest "Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned" was released I felt even more embarrassed for them.
rolleyes.gif

May 13, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #38 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
^ Er...didn't you ever hear or see that famous night show, where she totally was busted for lip-synching? The track was the wrong one, so when she paused, you could tell it was pre-recorded...she stood there like a dummy for a few seconds, tried to dance, stopped, then pretended to get mad at her band, and left the stage.

c'mon... c'mon... you thought i was serious?? c'mon...

but yea i was totally mocking her based off of that specific SNL performance.

May 13, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #39 of 58
I saw the Rolling stones twice. but in 1978....they were horrible. So bad we walked out.

1982 We saw Frank Zappa..not only was his entire band out of tune,they only played for 20 minutes..concert over !

2002 Kansas/Yes....Yes,were horrible sounding,guitarist..I forgot the dudes name was totally out of sync with the rest of the band.They were terrible and Jon something ,the lead singer was truly upset on stage.

May 13, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #40 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by twc5964
I saw the Rolling stones twice. but in 1978....they were horrible. So bad we walked out.

1982 We saw Frank Zappa..not only was his entire band out of tune,they only played for 20 minutes..concert over !

2002 Kansas/Yes....Yes,were horrible sounding,guitarist..I forgot the dudes name was totally out of sync with the rest of the band.They were terrible and Jon something ,the lead singer was truly upset on stage.

you have named 3 or 4 bands that are known for incredible live playing. you must be unlucky or very picky. especially zappa, sheesh.

May 13, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #41 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by twc5964

If the Stones perished in a horrible tour-bus accident in 1971 the world would be a better place. I'm sorry to sound so macabre, but thank god Morrison, Joplin and Hendrix bought their farms when they did.

Can you imagine The Doors playing for a crowd of 60-somethings in some retirement village in Florida? (A horrible parrellel universe, on par with Nazi-epsidoe Star Trek)

May 13, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #42 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja
Can you imagine The Doors playing for a crowd of 60-somethings in some retirement village in Florida? (A horrible parrellel universe, on par with Nazi-epsidoe Star Trek)

Yes, I can imagine it. I just saw them with Ian Astbury standing in for Jim Morrison.

May 13, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #43 of 58
*insert trendy emo band name here*
Cake, I saw them live, and they got all pissy cause someone was throwing stuff, and so they walked off the stage 15 minutes in. Hacked me right off...

May 13, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #44 of 58
How about the stones at the super bowl? I think I almost lost my lunch...

May 13, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #45 of 58
lol...Some people still enjoy them, believe it or not, and that's the only reason why they're still 'singing.'

Now we know what living fossils look like, ne?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back