Has owning great headphones changed the music styles you listen to?
Jan 31, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #31 of 35
Getting into the MS-1 and resulting in a full blown Head-fi addiction resulted in me having over 7000 choice cuts of tunes at my fingertips whenever I'm near my computer, and about half that on my ipod on the go. Half of those I already owned, but to double the breadth of music you listen to within 2 years is no small feat, and I'm lovin' the ride! (and yes there are twice as many NOT choice cuts laying in CDs around the house lol)

Jan 31, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #32 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
No. IMO a playback system has to reproduce the music I want to hear. I haven't really changed what I like in music as a result of changing playback rigs.

What does change is how I perceive some recordings. Increased resolution provided by top rigs simply lets more musical information through. So, I have noticed that I'm appreciating some pieces of music that I might have dismissed before I had a system that let me hear them properly reproduced. However, this is not a genre-dependent effect.

I've always preferred "indie" music to mainstream, so am quite used to poorly produced sound (although personally I think that the low budget used in some independent recordings results in better sound, since the engineer won't have the expensive equipment needed to really screw up the mix
tongue.gif
). Hearing the flaws along with the music can sometimes distract, but it also lets you separate them out. There are some bad recordings I can only listen to with my best rigs, because I can differentiate the flaws from the music and ignore them, more or less, while a less resolving system will blend the flaws in and compromise the musical content even more.

I Agree with you here. A lot of people seem to think that a lower-end system which also resolves less detail is better for poor recordings. While intuitively this makes sense, I find that a really good system does a really good job on almost all my recordings, even the poor ones. In fact, like you say, sometimes I can only listen to the poorest recordings with what I consider the best equipment. Anyway, I have experimented with equalizers with some really poorly recorded stuff (especially 70's Progressive Rock, since it seems to have been recording well, but with producers with seemingly no sensitivity to piercingly uneven treble). So I adjust per song. I mean, yeah the EQ adds some signal degradation, but I figure if I'm at the point where I feel to use it, purity of signal is the least of my issues.

Jan 31, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #33 of 35
I was into music a long time before I was into speakers and I was into speakers a long time before I was into headphones. I've always loved high-quality recordings, so each upgrade has only allowed me to get more out of them, not made me hate bad ones
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #34 of 35
I haven't changed what I listen to, but I always made sure my rig was able to playback any of the stuff well. That means keeping the poor recordings listenable by avoiding bright/harsh gear.

Mooge.

Jan 31, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #35 of 35
not changed, just expanded. after getting my first pair of headphones all of a sudden i wanted to see how one genre would sound like with my headphones. also, to experience your favorite tunes all over again is just so worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back