Has my dynamic driver died and what should I do next?
Mar 17, 2024 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chuoi123

New Head-Fier
TLDR: My right dynamic driver appears to be dead. How can I potentially check and fix it?

I purchased my Mangird Tea (6BA+1DD) in May 2021. It worked fine for me until this week. I noticed that the right side sounded much quieter and less pronounced in bass notes. I tried several methods below to narrow down the problem:
  • Swapping music.
  • Swapping sides (to ensure it's not my ears' problem).
  • Swapping the cable sides.
  • Swapping the DAC dongle.
  • Swapping to other IEMs.
However, all still exhibited the same problem. I then visited a local audio store to seek assistance, but all they could do was replace the mesh of the IEM. After that, the right side got louder but still missed some low-end notes.

I conducted an audio frequency test and discovered that I could not hear the frequency range from 20 to 50Hz on the right side, whereas it sounded clear and rumbling on the left side. I repeated the tests mentioned above while playing the frequency test, but nothing changed (the bass was still missing on the right side).

Can I conclude that the dynamic driver on my right side has died? Do I need to conduct further checks (without opening the IEM)?

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 7
If youve done all the checks needed, I am sorry but a dead DD is a dead DD. You can't really revive it.

You can contact the dealer and ask if you can get a repair, but that'll cost.

Your best bet is to get a new one. Its no longer under warranty too which makes this difficult. Or the repair and see the costs.

Mar 17, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 7
Check with a flashlight to see if the driver is blocked by wax. I had one the same problem came in and cleaned it and it was just clogged. It was hard to see since the mesh is so fine though. Hold them both next to each other so you could spot the difference under bright light.

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 7
If youve done all the checks needed, I am sorry but a dead DD is a dead DD. You can't really revive it.

You can contact the dealer and ask if you can get a repair, but that'll cost.

Your best bet is to get a new one. Its no longer under warranty too which makes this difficult. Or the repair and see the costs.
Yup, it seems like it's time to upgrade to the next set.

Mar 18, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #5 of 7
paddles CLEAR! wallet CHECK

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 7
If a log sweep reveals attenuation below 50 Hz, I'd say the DD probably isn't dead, it's just obstructed by something. DDs are usually assigned the low band up to around 300 Hz, so a dead DD would make one side far more tinny.

Try cleaning the bore out with a high gauge wire, if that doesn't work, dipping the nozzle into high % isopropyl alcohol might do the trick. Be careful with it of course, you should avoid getting any fluids past the nozzle, but with any luck the obstruction is only slightly past the opening of the nozzle.

Mar 20, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #7 of 7
If a log sweep reveals attenuation below 50 Hz, I'd say the DD probably isn't dead, it's just obstructed by something. DDs are usually assigned the low band up to around 300 Hz, so a dead DD would make one side far more tinny.

Try cleaning the bore out with a high gauge wire, if that doesn't work, dipping the nozzle into high % isopropyl alcohol might do the trick. Be careful with it of course, you should avoid getting any fluids past the nozzle, but with any luck the obstruction is only slightly past the opening of the nozzle.
oh, it is worth a try

Users who are viewing this thread

Back