Has IPOD changed their sound chips/cards from generation to generation
Mar 22, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #16 of 19
I know this is an old musty defunct thread but thought I'd throw this out there to anyone doing research on chips. Was playing around with my gym rig (2nd Gen Nano with Fiio E11) and comparing it to the HiFiMeDIY Saber usb DAC I bought a few months ago to bypass the soundcard on my laptop. What really stood out with the Wolfson chip in the Nano is the soundstage and instrument separation. At times it almost seems a little too wide (artificial?) but maybe it's simply because I'm not used to that much width and depth. Either way it's been really fun and I'm hearing individual instruments much more clearly and the vocals sound a little more natural and not in my head as much as the Saber. YMMV

Feb 13, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #18 of 19
Sorry to fire up an old thread, but I have a few iPods, and iPod Classic (latest) is my main music driver.  Im starting to get interested in these newer Hi Res players like AK, and was wondering what the chip differences are between lets say an iPod Classic and AK junior?

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #19 of 19
Sorry to fire up an old thread, but I have a few iPods, and iPod Classnic (latest) is my main music driver.  Im starting to get interested in these newer Hi Res players like AK, and was wondering what the chip differences are between lets say an iPod Classic and AK junior?

Hi, i have the ipod video (5 g) for years now, and i like it very much. It sounds good, but all higher audio resolutions are truncated/downsampled to 16bit/44,1kHz even with rockbox. The dac is the limiting element here, but this device sounds very nice anyway.

Yesterday i ordered an AK junior and it will arrive this week! Really not cheap, but plays all formats up to 24bit/192kHz i think. Even dsd files.

The ipod is ten years old now, and i am a little bit annoyed from the click wheel. I have changed the battery one time, and it will play music for my wife from now. So the (older) ipods are very nice, but i want something new now.

As an mp3 player the ipod is really good, i do the step to hi resolution files now. Since last year i have ultimate ears custom inears (uerm) and now i can hear the difference between mp3 files and not compressed files.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back