Has everyone been lying to me?
Sep 11, 2004 at 5:08 AM Post #31 of 46
Delenda Sony est. I finally really read your username. Good one...accept I always put the verb at the end.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah, but I'm not from Finland, I'm originally from Charleston, SC, which is at sea level. But sadly we weren't a part of the Empire either, and that sea was not the Mare Nostrum. I'm more of a Republican myself though (in the Roman sense of the word, not the modern sense!) But still, this "barbarian" threatens to march on Rome if you do not try them amped!
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

But I do agree this much - that a good portable headphone should give you the choice of being amped or unamped. The er6i does sufficiently well unamped, that you do not always have to carry the amp with you if you don't have room or don't have one yet. However, I also very much enjoy the fact that they can reap the benefits of any gear you might already have or were planning to get anyway. There bass is not as impactful unamped, but it's a pleasent enough sound that you should be able to survive just fine. It's just that...well, it sounds great amped!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by delenda est Sony
P'raps the Northern latitudes create greater pressure in eardrums causing increased perceived bass... And Finland was never properly integrated into the Empire after all!
cool.gif

On a more serious note, PS, not everyone on the site who wants a headphone recommendation will buy or use an amp. So if our friend the ER6I does sound nice and thumpy with an amp, I don't know if that will meet comrade Bolt San's needs.

He and every other canal phone user should appreciate that they are getting an excellent set of phones if they buy the ER6i, but they are not quite getting a Beyer 250! This is fine as not everyone needs or wants the Beyer 250, but if you do, you should be buying that, not trying to make Etys fit the mold of a full sized warm set of phones...

Sep 11, 2004 at 7:51 AM Post #32 of 46
A'ight, I'm getting kind of sick of seeing 'visceral' used so freely around here.

vis·cer·al (vsr-l) adj.
1. Relating to, situated in, or affecting the viscera.
2. Perceived in or as if in the viscera.

vis·cer·a (vsr-) pl.n.
1. The soft internal organs of the body, especially those contained within the abdominal and thoracic cavities.
2. The intestines.

Literally speaking, I don't care if you've got Grados - unless they're on your stomach you aren't going to get visceral bass.

If you're talking about bass which is very obvious and easily noticed, perhaps perceptible or palpable may be better words.

pal·pa·ble (plp-bl) adj.
1. Capable of being handled, touched, or felt; tangible: “Anger rushed out in a palpable wave through his arms and legs” (Herman Wouk).
2. Easily perceived; obvious: “There was a palpable sense of expectation in the court” (Nelson DeMille). See Synonyms at perceptible.

One may say, "well, you know what I meant." We do - that's just not a good enough reason to carry on misusing a language.
evil_smiley.gif

--

"The only way to defend language is to attack it!" Marcel Proust

Sep 11, 2004 at 8:01 AM Post #33 of 46
OMG! Spankypoo has become Mr. Howell!!

Sep 11, 2004 at 9:35 AM Post #35 of 46
I think the Ety4p/s has bass. And for some listening plenty of bass. Get in a room with ambient low frequency noise however and the bass seems to be "lost": for example in airplanes.

I'm about to experiment with the ultimate "GEEK" setup. Earmuffs to block outside noise with the Etys underneath delivering (I hope) pure unaffected sound. Well that's the theory, I'll let you know if the bass improves using this setup.

And the nice thing about etys is that the bass never hurts... I have some great rock recordings where the bass can actually be painful with the MS-pros (of course I could turn down the volume).

TonyAAA

Sep 11, 2004 at 2:04 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Delenda Sony est. I finally really read your username. Good one...accept I always put the verb at the end.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah, but I'm not from Finland, I'm originally from Charleston, SC, which is at sea level. But sadly we weren't a part of the Empire either, and that sea was not the Mare Nostrum. I'm more of a Republican myself though (in the Roman sense of the word, not the modern sense!) But still, this "barbarian" threatens to march on Rome if you do not try them amped!
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

But I do agree this much - that a good portable headphone should give you the choice of being amped or unamped. The er6i does sufficiently well unamped, that you do not always have to carry the amp with you if you don't have room or don't have one yet. However, I also very much enjoy the fact that they can reap the benefits of any gear you might already have or were planning to get anyway. There bass is not as impactful unamped, but it's a pleasent enough sound that you should be able to survive just fine. It's just that...well, it sounds great amped!
smily_headphones1.gif

Agreed to all of the above! Tried the ER6i last night with the Total Airhead, and the bass extension was huge, deep, palpable if not visceral, and balanced. These phones shine with an amp, and sound much better with power than the ER6 does. Ety has done a good job, and Plainsong is a genius, even with her unconventional theories on Latin word order!!
wink.gif
(Not that unconventional, but "dse" makes a poor username as opposed to "des"...)

Sep 11, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #38 of 46
Unamped from a Rio Karma.
Through the line-out to a CMOY, they gain nothing, but through META42s they become slightly more open, I guess.
Haven't done much testing with the META42 but the Karma is powerful.

Sep 11, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #39 of 46
kwkarth,

yay! It's all good, that's the beauty of headphone forums.

Cheers,
Geek

Sep 11, 2004 at 10:03 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by delenda est Sony
Agreed to all of the above! Tried the ER6i last night with the Total Airhead, and the bass extension was huge, deep, palpable if not visceral, and balanced. These phones shine with an amp, and sound much better with power than the ER6 does. Ety has done a good job, and Plainsong is a genius, even with her unconventional theories on Latin word order!!
wink.gif
(Not that unconventional, but "dse" makes a poor username as opposed to "des"...)

Well actually, I guess the noun should come first, if I were to base it on Carthago delanda est. But that's the beauty of Latin, it just doesn't matter does it?
smily_headphones1.gif
But des is better than dse or sde. But speaking of having choices...

See? I told you so! I went out with them today unampe, and sure, they're pleasent enough little canalphones, but if you can carry the amp, and ideally use a line out of some sort, the etys will thank you and repay you big tasty helpings bass. And not IMO at the expense of too much detail. I'm not sure how much synergy plays a part here. I still haven't gotten around to testing the mint vibe, and certainly the PCII is very nice with them, but more people have to try it so that we have more of an idea of what's going on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2004 at 7:04 AM Post #42 of 46
posted by kyrie:
Quote:

But if you say that Etys have just as much bass as full-sized cans (excluding such examples as K501, etc), then you are deaf.

UHHHH, I'm confused here...shouldn't your statement be the other way around??? If you have never experienced the bass on the Ety 4P/S to be as good as any other full sized can, then me thinks you are the one who is hard of hearing or deaf. Your statement is a contradiction and a funny at that. Just because you haven't heard the Ety's give the kind of bass that other full sized cans bring, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Thinking so leads me to believe that you are somewhat closed minded!
rolleyes.gif
Seriously, just wait until you experience true Ety bass...you'll be eating your words quite nicely!
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeplin
UHHHH, I'm confused here...shouldn't your statement be the other way around??? If you have never experienced the bass on the Ety 4P/S to be as good as any other full sized can, then me thinks you are the one who is hard of hearing or deaf. Your statement is a contradiction and a funny at that. Just because you haven't heard the Ety's give the kind of bass that other full sized cans bring, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Thinking so leads me to believe that you are somewhat closed minded!
rolleyes.gif
Seriously, just wait until you experience true Ety bass...you'll be eating your words quite nicely!
biggrin.gif

Ety fanboys will always be Ety fanboys, I guess...
rolleyes.gif

Let's just settle it with "everyone has a different idea of what bass is."

Sep 20, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek
As for bass extension, the ER-4S has more than the other lesser Ety models assuming you are driving them with a powerful enough source/amp/recording. They are deeper.

As for visceral impact, basically no headphone can deliver visceral bass; visceral bass is low frequencies which are FELT through the ENTIRE BODY rather than heard.

Maybe I should connect my subwoofer output to a vibrator and put it.... oh, forget it... (before people report me)
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back