Has burn-in ever been a bad thing?
Jan 17, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danfried /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You raise a really funny point, because that's something I've always wondered. Burn-in, if it is real (and I tend to believe it is real with many headphones), should only be good _if the manufacturer intended it to be good_, i.e., they deliberately designed their cans to take burn-in into account. If a manufacturer designed some headphones to have the best sound when first taken out of the box, then naturally burn-in would NOT be good.

As for whether manufacturers take burn-in into account, have we had any definitive answers from them on Head-Fi?

You over-estimate the manufacturers. They make cans for the lowest common denominator. If any group of people on earth know about burn in, have experience with it and understand it, it's us here on head-fi. If we can't even agree that it exists the manufacturers aren't considering it at all.

The vast majority of sales will be to people who wouldn't know if their ears were on fire and wouldn't notice burn in if it hit them in the face. Sad thing is, most manufacturers are in that same boat. Most don't acknowledge the possibility. Some do but they don't make a big thing of it. All that matters to the companies and their consumers is that they sound impressive on first listen to most people. Even then, sound is way down the list of priorities, for both parties.

We're a pretty elite bunch on head-fi...

IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back