Has Apple added Gapless Playback for the iPod??
Sep 23, 2006 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

iSleipnir

1000+ Head-Fier
So I just updated itunes and was adding some songs to my ipod when it strated "Determining Gapless Playback Information" for 4418 songs. Does this mean what I think it means? Has apple finally included gapless playback in thier ipods? I hope so. Given the amount of songs beeing analized I think I can get a response before it's done updating.
cool.gif

-Nick

Sep 23, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
So I just updated itunes and was adding some songs to my ipod when it strated "Determining Gapless Playback Information" for 4418 songs. Does this mean what I think it means? Has apple finally included gapless playback in thier ipods? I hope so. Given the amount of songs beeing analized I think I can get a response before it's done updating.
cool.gif

-Nick

They absolutely have. The playback on my Nano 2g is perfectly gapless.

Sep 23, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield
They absolutely have. The playback on my Nano 2g is perfectly gapless.

Is there a way to firmware update to gapless capability without upgrading to iTunes 7? I am reading bad things about iTunes 7, but want gapless if I can get it with iTunes 6.05.

Sep 23, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 28
Wake up dude ! Seriously if you have a 5g then you have gapless

Sep 23, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 28
the 5G/5.5G iPod's and 2G iPod nano have gapless playback (I think the 2G iPod shuffle does as well, but that is't out yet so I don't know)

maybe now, Creative, Cowon, Samsung, iriver, etc will get around to adding it as well

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oga
Wow - you mean Apple has finally de crippled even one of the countless items that rockbox provides on its own device?

Yes but they did it minus the rockbox crashing.
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob ♫
Is there a way to firmware update to gapless capability without upgrading to iTunes 7?

It does not appear so, since the actual "gapless analysis" happens in iTunes (7 only), and the iPod adopts this gapless information once it is synced post-analysis.

Sep 24, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob ♫
Is there a way to firmware update to gapless capability without upgrading to iTunes 7? I am reading bad things about iTunes 7, but want gapless if I can get it with iTunes 6.05.

What bad things have you heard?

Sep 24, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #10 of 28
i wish apple would add gapless playback to previous-gen iPods; it seems they're alienating every iPod user that doesn't own a 5G iPod or 2G iPod Nano. i'm weary of putting rockbox on my 4G iPod...c'mon where is the firmware update??

Sep 24, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless
It does not appear so, since the actual "gapless analysis" happens in iTunes (7 only), and the iPod adopts this gapless information once it is synced post-analysis.

The cool thing is that even in manual update mode, when i plugged my ipod into intunes7 for the first time, it gapless analyzed my ipod for me. so no need to re-put files on the ipod, even on manual mode, for tunes that should now be gapless.

Sep 24, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #13 of 28
This "problem" issue has flourished over at the Ilounge forum, yet I and others have had no problems whatsoever with the download or the seamless/flawless interface with my 5g Ipod video. I would assume you could try it and, if it didn't work, go back to the previous version, but honestly I'm happier than a pig in slop with the new upgrade.

Sep 24, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1
This "problem" issue has flourished over at the Ilounge forum, yet I and others have had no problems whatsoever with the download or the seamless/flawless interface with my 5g Ipod video. I would assume you could try it and, if it didn't work, go back to the previous version, but honestly I'm happier than a pig in slop with the new upgrade.

"Going back to the previous version" might not be as straightforward as you are assuming. Apparently, iTunes has its special way of doing things to your precious music library, not all of it reversible. So, I am proceeding with great caution (and sticking with 6.05) until I'm sure the coast is clear . . .

Sep 24, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #15 of 28
it took me a week of hardcore troubleshooting and losing 3 libraries, but i finally got everything working perfectly. it's worth the trouble - gapless is so sweet, i put both Madame Butterfly and Tosca on my ipod last nite!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back