has anyone used or know any info on this
Mar 7, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 8
Mar 8, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 8
The quick version: It's crap. Pass.

If you need an inexpensive stand-alone S/PDIF DtoA, there's a FiiO that people seem to like, that runs around $30 on Amazon. Gefen makes a similarly sized version that can also decode Dolby Digital, which sells for around $90. You could also scour ebay for D/A converters from yesteryear, like the Technics SH-AC500D or the various Sony and Yamaha competitors. Finally, if you're talking about hooking up to a PC, there's an ocean of USB, PCI, PCIe, FireWire, etc audio controllers out there that you can (and should) look at. A lot of them include headphone amplifiers too.

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 8
thanks for your info.
one more question, how much of a difference will i notice from my iMac if i use an outboard DAC?
that is why i want to start on the low end (price)

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #7 of 8
the imac has both analog and digital outputs from the same 3.5 mm jack

right now i just have a 3.5 mm to RCA cord from the iMac to my vintage MCS 3835 integrated amp

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 8
If you aren't getting any hum/noise (and I'm assuming you aren't), I don't think you'll get much of anything from a cheap outboard DAC. A very expensive model might produce a somewhat distinct sound, but as usual - I'm skeptical. As JA put it a few years ago - digital devices have gotten really good in the last few years, and really cheap at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back