Has anyone tried
Aug 7, 2006 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mudihan

100+ Head-Fier
to build a standalone headphone amp with Zhaolu's discrete head-amp board? (Sorry, I have to post it here since the Zhaolu crowd is here)

Aug 7, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 8
Why would you want to? I've heard the onboard headphone amp isn't worth writing home to...

Aug 7, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Why would you want to? I've heard the onboard headphone amp isn't worth writing home to...

He's talking about the upgraded fully discrete headphone amp option. The discrete amp is actually pretty darn nice, especially with Grado's.

Yes, in fact Ori and I discussed this once. Interestingly enough, with the 1.3's, you can disconnect all power to the digital/analog section, but leaving the discrete amp connected to the power supply, and you've pretty much got a dedicated headphone amp with the discrete module.
smily_headphones1.gif
(Both 1.3 and 2.0 have line inputs to the amp) It would be cool to build an amp around the discrete module though, in the classic sense, with a STEPS power supply and a custom case. Major bang for the buck considering how good the discrete module is.

Aug 7, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 8
Oh I wasn't aware there was discrete now. Geez, are any of these freaking Zhaolu's the same?

Aug 7, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Oh I wasn't aware there was discrete now. Geez, are any of these freaking Zhaolu's the same?

Heh, heh, I know. Zhaolu has offered this option since the 1.3's even. I've reported on it's sound before and liken it to the sonics of a Gilmore Lite in many ways. Here's a pic:

17.jpg

Aug 7, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Heh, heh, I know. Zhaolu has offered this option since the 1.3's even. I've reported on it's sound before and liken it to the sonics of a Gilmore Lite in many ways. Here's a pic:

17.jpg

Nice
smily_headphones1.gif
Good to have options. I guess the 1.3 must be very different to the stock 2.0.

Aug 7, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
He's talking about the upgraded fully discrete headphone amp option. The discrete amp is actually pretty darn nice, especially with Grado's.

Yes, in fact Ori and I discussed this once. Interestingly enough, with the 1.3's, you can disconnect all power to the digital/analog section, but leaving the discrete amp connected to the power supply, and you've pretty much got a dedicated headphone amp with the discrete module.
smily_headphones1.gif
(Both 1.3 and 2.0 have line inputs to the amp) It would be cool to build an amp around the discrete module though, in the classic sense, with a STEPS power supply and a custom case. Major bang for the buck considering how good the discrete module is.

And How Cheap it is!

Exactly. But I was considering using it with a Tread (limited budget). Someone with the module please give it a try!

Aug 8, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Now you know why the Zhaolu threads get so damn confusing. It's like the Buger King of DACs, "have it your way".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back