Has anyone tried to rewire the SR-325 with silver cable?
Jan 19, 2004 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

kartik

Headphoneus Supremus
Since most of my ICs are now silver (with substantial improvements in sound, I might add!) I was wondering if anyone had tried rewiring the SR-325 with silver cable instead of the stock cable. I tried doing a prefunctory search but couldn't find anything. There are tons of cable replacements for the Senns and the AKG K1000, what about Grado?
I have noticed that using silver ICs in my system (except for the DSD cable) results in markedly unstressed yet dynamic sound with the SR-325. No grato.
biggrin.gif

I was just wondering if there would be any additional benefit in rewiring to silver cable. A friend of mine offered (for a charge of course) to do this? Is it worth the hassle?
Please don't tell me I need to buy a K1000 or HD650. It ain't happening! No way I'm leaving the Grado family. (and no, I can't afford to upgrade to the RS-1 as yet!)

Jan 19, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 18
Take the brightest headphone on the planet and make it brighter. Good call.

Biggie.

Jan 19, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 18
Well , some one did an upgrade on the RS-1 Cable ( which is the same cable the 325 uses ) and put on the old joe grado "Ultra wide cables". The results were so little that he wondered if there even was a differance and said he wouldn't take the risk in doing it ever agian ( forgot who it was look do a search).
The rs-1/2 and 325 cable(UHPLC copper voice coil wire) is a very good cable , so changing the cable would prob make only a small differance and is prob not worth it in the long run. The Hd600 cable is a POS and is the reason why the upgraded cables make such a difference.
But who knows , you can be the guinea pig if you want
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ

Biggie.

You don't get it! Everyone agrees silver is brighter than copper. Yet each time I switched to silver cable for the ICs, the sound is smoother. It is very dynamic but not harsh. There is a difference. I think the SR-325s have a bad name for naught! They can be extremely satisfying to listen to music from speed metal to sitar.

Jan 19, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ

Biggie.

exactly my thoughts

Jan 19, 2004 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by kartik
You don't get it! Everyone agrees silver is brighter than copper. Yet each time I switched to silver cable for the ICs, the sound is smoother. It is very dynamic but not harsh. There is a difference. I think the SR-325s have a bad name for naught! They can be extremely satisfying to listen to music from speed metal to sitar.

Maybe your orginal cables were even brighter sliver cables?

Jan 19, 2004 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 18
I wish I'd known about the Senn or flat pad before I'd got rid of the SR325. It might have been able to be more controlled that way.

Why not give it a try. While it's generally more of the case what everyone mentioned, I also know what you mean about smoother delivery. You may be able to notice better details, then ameliorate excessive brightness if any by trying the flat pads.

I would try for a removable or at least easily reversible cable arrangement so that you can compare the two.

Jan 19, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 18
IMHO (and maybe others' too), the reputation of "brightness" that the SR-325 has little to do with detail and more to do with harmonic noise in the audible spectrum particularly in the 7-18Khz range. A lot of this region is good territory for signal improvement with cables, source and amp upgrades, not the least flat pads. It isn't really the brightness that people object to, it's the harshness of the sound. The brightness, makes it attacking, the harshness makes the attack painful.

Jan 19, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 18
rs-1's have very smooth treble yet with bowl pads accentuating the treble amount, I find them too fatiguing to wear for long periods of time. Excessive brightness = ear fatigue for me. Also harshness = ear fatigue. And If you want harsh treble, try sony v700 hehe..

Biggie.

Jan 20, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 18
Why the heck would they sound brighter?! This is simple chemistry - electron flow. You'd think if anything they would warm up. Now there's more power, so there will be more electrons available to swing the diaphragm back and forth farther and deepen bass and strengthen mids. Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem logical to me.

Jan 20, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #12 of 18
The bowl pads make the Grados brighter by setting up a standing wave at a greater distance from the ears. Thus, there are greater harmonics making for a "richer" sound which seems more dynamic. The flat pads reduce this distance with different and increase the amount of bone conduction, this makes for flatter sound but much less fatigue. The issue with the cabling is more than chemistry or electrons. There is the larger "physical" issue of cable characteristics based on the metals response to environmental electrical noise. The faster the conduction, the lesser noise the signal picks up.

Jan 20, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by MD1032
Why the heck would they sound brighter?! This is simple chemistry - electron flow. You'd think if anything they would warm up. Now there's more power, so there will be more electrons available to swing the diaphragm back and forth farther and deepen bass and strengthen mids. Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem logical to me.

If it has the power for bass and mids, then it will also have more power for highs.

Jan 20, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by kartik
Since most of my ICs are now silver (with substantial improvements in sound, I might add!) I was wondering if anyone had tried rewiring the SR-325 with silver cable instead of the stock cable.

Some years ago i did exactly that on my SR225.A friend of mine,who was working at a hi-fi shop -offered to do this.He used Siltech wire,which is pure silver.I had opened a thread for this a couple years ago at Headwize
http://headwize2.powerpill.org/ubb/s...0&srch=silver;
The result-with flat pads-was amazing!Better resolution,dynamics etc.No harsh sound at all.At the time i had a Headroom Home,Sony DAT and the vinyl set up i still have.After 2 years i changed the cable,as it was too delicate(replaced it with Mogami Neglex)and i wanted to use the 225 portably.The 225 has standard copper wire and its not OHPLC copper like the 325/RS2/RS1 so maybe the difference won t be the that big with the 325...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back