Has anyone tried the Zen Stone yet?
May 15, 2007 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

2ndbest

100+ Head-Fier
I want one for running, either this or a Shuffle and I'd really like some user experiences, since I think the Shuffle is less than stellar sq-wise.

Does anyone have any hand-on experiences? If so, I'd really like to know!

May 15, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 26
Very detailed sound, even with Creative EP630 headphones (I don't know whether the synergy was intentional -- you would think it would be, though). Especially good so far on guitars, particularly acoustic. It seems to me that it drives the EP630s more easily than it drives Etymotics ER6i's (which sound even more detailed, though, obviously) or Sennheiser PX100's, but I just need to turn up the volume a bit when I use the Etymotics or the Sennheisers. Still early though, so I haven't learned the best combinations of music and 'phones yet (minimum 192kbps MP3s).

Nice shape, size and "feel," and dead simple to operate (even without looking at the player). Very pocketable -- almost the exact same size as my keyless entry remote for my car. Too soon to tell about battery life.

Now that I think about it, if Creative were to bundle this with the EP630s, they could charge a few dollars more and have a major hit on their hands ... but even with buying them separately, it's a very nice minimalist "value" rig. And as I said, I'm still trying out different 'phones with it (so far I'm using it at the office, where I generally use the EP630 canal phones for the most part).

The price is still the most distinctive feature (and an exceptional feature, at that), but the performance, combined with the price, makes for an excellent value if all you want is to play music either randomly or by folder.

May 15, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 26
I just got it today, and I've never heard the shuffle, so I can't really compare them.

So far, I like the ease of use and the design, and of course the price (which is the best feature as far as I'm concerned).

The sound is certainly acceptable so far. I've tried it with several different headphones and it was able to drive them and make them sound like I'd expect.

I'm mostly going to use them with the Yuins, so I'll let you know how it's going after a few weeks of getting to know them.

May 15, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 26
LOL. I love this thing.

Right now I'm wearing it in the band on the inside of my baseball cap.

No lanyard required!
cool.gif

May 15, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Autochthon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't find any mention of charging adapters. Is there an adapter to charge these in your car. How about recharging on long airline flights?

It uses a mini usb port, so lots of chargers will work.

May 16, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 26
I just listened to "Valley Winter Song" by Fountains of Wayne.

In my experience, the vocals in this song can be very harsh.

It sounds beautiful with this setup. There is no harshness (the "s" sounds don't sound like fingernails on a chalkboard) and the acoustic guitar sounds very lush.

The instruments are very distinct and detailed.

May 16, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #10 of 26
The Zen Stone certainly looks very tempting to buy. I really like the design from Creative too, looks really sleek in black.

May 16, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghoti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just listened to "Valley Winter Song" by Fountains of Wayne.

In my experience, the vocals in this song can be very harsh.

It sounds beautiful with this setup. There is no harshness (the "s" sounds don't sound like fingernails on a chalkboard) and the acoustic guitar sounds very lush.

The instruments are very distinct and detailed.

Very interesting, thanks for you reply. I'll be sure to check out the Stone in a store this week.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back