Has anyone tried the Futuresonics FS1's?
Dec 3, 2005 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

spinneresque

100+ Head-Fier
Trying this thread again, since they've been out for awhile now. I have the EM3's and I really like them. Now that I can compare them to my HF-1's and HD595's, I see them a little differently it's true. The bass is heavy but I personally happen to like the way they sound. I still feel that they are nicely detailed. IMO the highs are very nice and the mids are just a little recessed. They are still about 100 times better than the ex-70's and Sharp MD33's I had previously. Futuresonics has a great one-year warranty and they just replaced my six-month old ones for free, quickly and with no hassle (one side had gone out). Has anyone tried these new FS-1's?

Dec 3, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #2 of 11
I personally have not had any experience with FS1, but I remember people who heard them saying the bass is awesome, but other than that the ER6i, which cost about the same as FS1, still has an edge on everything except the bass.

Dec 21, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 11
The FS1 with foamies (the quad flange..what the heck?? did not even fit in my ear) sound pretty good. The silicone/rubber tips are ok. Excellent bass response, but lacks in the mid/highs. Typical of a transducer type IEM. For the price is it honestly a decent unit. Did I just give props to a competition ???
confused.gif

Dec 22, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 11
I have tried them, as a stopgap measure until my Sensaphonics/T2XS can be repaired.

The supplied rubber tips were all useless for my ears. The foamies work well and give reasonable isolation but I'm using ER4 custom molds with the stems of a pair of old tri-flanges on the FS1 as adapters to achieve better comfort. Bass response is excellent and the rest of the sound works well overall but isn't as precise as ER4S/ER6/Sensaphonic mids & highs.

Dec 22, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 11
Where did you guys find the FS1's?
In a store? Did you buy them from XtremeMac? eBay??

Dec 22, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23
(the quad flange..what the heck?? did not even fit in my ear) sound pretty good.

I believe the quad-flange is called the earplane. I do not know why they make that big, and it is very scary to even think putting that thing into my ears.

Jan 25, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 11
So, the fs1s aren't actually anything like the old futuresonics? From what I've heard, they old ones have sound similar to the shure e1, which is what the new e3 is based off-a good all round earphone. Was I wrong
confused.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #9 of 11
Most of what I've read says the EM-3 and the FS-1 sound very much alike. They both use dynamic drivers (more like a conventional speaker) as opposed to armatures. Thats where they get the killer low end. Mids and highs... not so much. Most reviews talk about how they're hard to fit as well. But really they should sound pretty good. Dark, but thumpy. The good kind of thumpy. Haven't had the chance to hear the new FS-1's though.

Jan 26, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #10 of 11
At the low end most IEM transducers start rolling off at around 100Hz. Soundrooms boost here when recording artists who are using IEM's. The strongest range for IEM's is around 3Khz so they often CUT there. Then they start rolling off again at around 10Khz. If they are using wireless the problem is compounded even further at that frequency. There is usually a boost applied at that frequency to compensate.

In rooms and live stages noise centered at around 400Hz leaks into the mikes so that frequency should be slightly cut as well.

I don't see how you can use these onstage without EQ.

And by the way, the SuperFi 5 pro IS available in clear from Guitar Center if you are interested. But their return policy isn't very good IMO. Build quality is actually better than most Shure earphones.

The short of it is that the EM-3 will be a tough act to follow for stage use.
They are currently available for $99 direct from Future Sonics.

Jan 27, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #11 of 11
I totally agree with you. You must be in the industry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftech
At the low end most IEM transducers start rolling off at around 100Hz. Soundrooms boost here when recording artists who are using IEM's. The strongest range for IEM's is around 3Khz so they often CUT there. Then they start rolling off again at around 10Khz.

Bingo... but what do you mean by "Soundrooms"? Studio's?

Quote:

If they are using wireless the problem is compounded even further at that frequency. There is usually a boost applied at that frequency to compensate.

I know exactly what your talking about. Is there anyway I should set my frequency to get the best tone? Higher? Lower? And how do I know what I should I boost to compensate?

Quote:

In rooms and live stages noise centered at around 400Hz leaks into the mikes so that frequency should be slightly cut as well.

You mean from the IEM's? I've never heard ot that hapening I hear it with headphones in the studio, but never on stage. Especially if your using a dynamic mic.

Quote:

I don't see how you can use these onstage without EQ.

I really can't. I have an EQ and a comp/limiter in my rack. EQ'd the EM-3's work out pretty well. Jut not durrable or comfortable. And you have to use tri-flanges really.

Quote:

And by the way, the SuperFi 5 pro IS available in clear from Guitar Center if you are interested. But their return policy isn't very good IMO. Build quality is actually better than most Shure earphones.

I heard about that. I don't like to shop there if I can help it. And all the ones around me were out of stock anyway. Had to go with UM-2's. I think they'll work out better for stage use anyway. Although they were a c-note more.

Quote:

The short of it is that the EM-3 will be a tough act to follow for stage use.
They are currently available for $99 direct from Future Sonics.

I agree. I think they're the best entry level IEM for stage use. Just don't plan on using them for over a year like I did. They won't hold up and the wires get brittle and stiff over time. Not easy to deal with onstage. Oh and you have to get some kind of flanges for them cause buying replacement foamies from Future Sonics is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE. I don't know if anybody had found anothe way to get them but I couldn't swing it. I hadn't tried the foam earplug trick where you make your own though. I bet that would work. I'm about to perform a rebuild on mine. I'll post about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back