Has Anyone tried the CSI Metcal Clone station?
Apr 5, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 9
How is this a clone of Metcal? Does it use the auto-sensing tips system?

Apr 5, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 9
Well, I'm not sure it's really a clone of a Metcal. The style of tips that they use look very similar though, so I assumed that CSI was trying for a Metcal clone of some sort.

Apr 5, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #6 of 9
Once you use Metcal Smartheat, you won't go back.

Apr 5, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 9
Well, I'm not really interested in getting a new station, since I have a Hakko 939 that works great for me. I just got a flier from CSI in the mail and thought that iron looked interested. I guess it's also similar to Hakko's new lead-free station, the FP-202.

Smartheat looks like a great technology, however I don't think it is exclusive to Metcal anymore. I believe it basically works by using a tip without much thermal mass, a thermocouple very close to the tip, and a fast control circuit. This allows the tip temp to remain very constant during use. It seems that Hakko's FP-202 works this way, and CSI's station might too.

Nov 21, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #8 of 9
The metcal uses Curie Point Temperature management. There is NO ceramic element in a Metcal. There is NO Thermocouple in a Metcal.
There is only Patented Technology in a Metcal that ensures temperature repeatability +/- 2degrees C.

Faster Safer Easier

Nov 21, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #9 of 9
Hehe...way to bring all the metcal threads back.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back