Has anyone tried the Audio Technica ATH-M40x?
Apr 2, 2014 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

FunkDrummer

Head-Fier
The removable cable seems like a plus. Apparently the M40x's are tonally balanced but I have yet to test them out in store xD .
They're the same price as the SRH440's from where I'm from so I guess you could consider these two cans as rivals :3 

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 15
I got to try out the entire AT X-series recently.  The M40x's are definitely not a bad pair of headphones for their price.  They do sound very similar to the SRH440s.  Personally, I prefer the Shure voicing, but that's my personal preference, and it depends on what you're looking for in a headphone.  The Shures are really neutral, really detailed, and I felt their soundstage was a bit better than the Audio Technicas.  Nothing really stood out excessively in the Shures, while the ATs had more of a noticeable bass boost.  Midrange is comparable in both pairs.  

Both are pretty comfortable, but I'd say the ATs are probably just a bit more comfortable.  I didn't wear them for a super long time, so I can't comment on how the comfort holds up for long periods of time.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 15
  I got to try out the entire AT X-series recently.  The M40x's are definitely not a bad pair of headphones for their price.  They do sound very similar to the SRH440s.  Personally, I prefer the Shure voicing, but that's my personal preference, and it depends on what you're looking for in a headphone.  The Shures are really neutral, really detailed, and I felt their soundstage was a bit better than the Audio Technicas.  Nothing really stood out excessively in the Shures, while the ATs had more of a noticeable bass boost.  Midrange is comparable in both pairs.  

Both are pretty comfortable, but I'd say the ATs are probably just a bit more comfortable.  I didn't wear them for a super long time, so I can't comment on how the comfort holds up for long periods of time.

The M40x's sound really warm in comparison to the more balanced SRH440's. Is the treble sparkly or do the M40's bare more resemblance to the SE215's? 

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 15
I have not heard the SE215.  I'd say the SRH440 was just a touch more articulate in the treble than the M40x, with the M40x bass boost being the largest difference between the two pairs.  Again, they sounded very similar to my ears.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 15
Thanks for the insight! The M40x's sound like fun set of cans O.o. Although they may not have the accuracy or sonic imaging of the SRH440's they do sound remarkable, especially in it's price range. Thanks again! :D 

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 15
Hey HiFi uy, the male end on headphones that plugs into an amp is a "plug". The female end on the amp or device is a "jack". You nearly always get that wrong, and it's something a " HiFi Guy" ought to know!

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #9 of 15
FWIW, here is my review thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/712635/audio-technica-ath-m40x-the-little-brother-that-could

May 3, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #10 of 15
Hey HiFi uy, the male end on headphones that plugs into an amp is a "plug". The female end on the amp or device is a "jack". You nearly always get that wrong, and it's something a " HiFi Guy" ought to know!

I get that wrong all the time. I think I need to come up with a mnemonic for it.

Mar 16, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #11 of 15
I myself love the M40x to me it a nice neutral sounding and the removable cables are nice. I had a supervisor try them out at work that was thinking of buying Beats because everyone else uses either them and after using these for a few hours she didn't want to give them back.

Apr 11, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #12 of 15

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #13 of 15
Got them yesterday and I am in love with this headphone. I get an eargasam every time I use them. This headphone blows away the m50x and other more expensive cans that I have used.A brilliant balance of sound and very comfortable.The bass is much more controlled and tight with a very pleasant punch.Mids and highs bring out the rest of sound signature to a pleasing listening experience. Soundstage is what you would expect on a set of closed cans. All in all all my music,movies and games sound so sweet. Never expected to get this sonic beauty that I have been looking for from the m40x. A solid 5/5 for everything.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #14 of 15
This headphone blows away the m50x and other more expensive cans that I have used

Can you elaborate the difference between the M40x and the M50x? 
In the shop, I had the opportunity to compare between this and the Beyerdynamic DT770 , since these were the 2 closest headphones they had to my price point... the M40x has a wamer and more pleasant sound, but because the actual earpieces are smaller, it is also less comfortable than the DT770 ... In the end I chose the M40x because it was cheaper and it could fold up 

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #15 of 15
I replaced the stock pads on mine with brainwavz pleather pads and they are more comfortable to wear though they still get hot and have read of others using hybrids. I still use mine regularly and my daughter takes them when she comes to visit and won't give them back till she leaves. I have T50RPs that have become my goto while my daughter prefers the M40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back