Has anyone tried the 50 Ohm version Sennheiser hd595?
Dec 15, 2005 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33
I'm getting second thoughts after ordering the 50 Ohm Sennheiser hd595 cans.
Has anynone had any experience with the 50 Ohm version?
How does it compare to the 120 Ohm version? What shall I be missing?

Do NOT see you on the 50 Ohm
blink.gif
Side of the Moon?

Adam

Dec 15, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 33
dont think that is an issue.

A900 being 40 ohms is another option and I guess if anything I think about that one.

but I go with the 50 ohm version over the 120 ohm version. Not sure you can even get the 120 ohm version anymore. Besides used.

Dec 15, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia
I'm getting second thoughts after ordering the 50 Ohm Sennheiser hd595 cans.
Has anynone had any experience with the 50 Ohm version?
How does it compare to the 120 Ohm version? What shall I be missing?

Do NOT see you on the 50 Ohm
blink.gif
Side of the Moon?

Adam

There is no actual difference in the sound quality between the 50-ohm and 120-ohm HD-595's. The only difference is that the 50-ohm cans are easier to drive, ie you can power them at reasonable volume levels right out of your computer or even your iPod. The 120-ohm cans are actually harder to drive, which would mean that you would need a decent amp to actually get the most out of your cans.

The setup in my sig works wonders, a 50-ohm HD595 which is amped through a Go-Vibe v3. Sounds great!

Dec 15, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 33
Unless you find old stock you can not get the 120s now (not in the UK anyway) sorry not tried the 120 but I do have the 50 and they sound better with an amp to me anyway.

But like everyone says the 50 are easy to drive, they run very happy from my iPods... but again they do sound better amped, this I do when at home.

R
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 33
Thanks guys! If feel better now.
I've been trying to find the "truth" about the influence
of HIGHER IMPENDANCE on the QUALITY of sound,
and guess what, I've failed. For example in the
"appreciation thread" for the DT-880 cans someone mentions
that the 600 Ohm DT-880 version exists and its for AUDIOPHILEs.
Also in some threads about the Sennheiser hd595 people raised doubts
why did Sennheiser introduced 50 Ohm instead of going to higher impendance.
Please note that the BIG GUNS like hd650, dt880 have 300 ohm and 280 ohm.
I am NOT looking for portable use (ipod, etc..) of "almost mine" hd595s.

It would be INTERESTING if someone actually COMPARED
blink.gif
(side by side)
the 50 Ohm and 120 Ohm versions of hd595.

So, anyway, HEAR you on the 50 Ohm
blink.gif
Side of the Moon

Adam

Dec 15, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by busta
The setup in my sig works wonders, a 50-ohm HD595 which is amped through a Go-Vibe v3. Sounds great!

Where can I buy the Go-Vibe v3. or just CMoy amps or something else?

See you on the HD595
blink.gif
Side of the Moon

Adam

Dec 16, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia
Thanks guys! If feel better now.
I've been trying to find the "truth" about the influence
of HIGHER IMPENDANCE on the QUALITY of sound,
and guess what, I've failed. For example in the
"appreciation thread" for the DT-880 cans someone mentions
that the 600 Ohm DT-880 version exists and its for AUDIOPHILEs.
Also in some threads about the Sennheiser hd595 people raised doubts
why did Sennheiser introduced 50 Ohm instead of going to higher impendance.
Please note that the BIG GUNS like hd650, dt880 have 300 ohm and 280 ohm.
I am NOT looking for portable use (ipod, etc..) of "almost mine" hd595s.

It would be INTERESTING if someone actually COMPARED
blink.gif
(side by side)
the 50 Ohm and 120 Ohm versions of hd595.

So, anyway, HEAR you on the 50 Ohm
blink.gif
Side of the Moon

Adam

From what I understand, headphone impedence only controls the actual volume level that you can reach on that headphone. With lower impedences, it's easier to drive the headphones, but with higher impedences you will need a more powerful amp to drive them. The reason why high impedence headphones like the ones you listed above are the "big guns" are because you need big guns to drive them. You need really powerful, good amps to get the most volume out of them.

Now, the Go-Vibe v3 can get the HD-595's pretty damn loud. I was listening to them at work today and a co-worker asked me if I would show him how loud they really get amped through a Go-Vibe. I cranked it all the way up, making sure that it wasn't loud enough to be distorted, and he was amazed that the sound coming through the headphones were as loud and as clear as some desktop speakers.

Dec 16, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #9 of 33
I'm basically doing the same thing as busta with the 50ohm pair. I'm still waiting on my cMoy and I won't have my sound card upgrade until Christmas. Drives fair off the integrated audio, I'm sure with the cMoy it'll get a whole lot better and then after the sound card upgrade even better. They still sound fantastic to me, so I bet I'll be in for a big surprise when I get the amp and the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum in.

Dec 16, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #11 of 33
According to Sennheiser, there was some improvement made to the voice coil (a change in material I believe) that went along with the switch to 50ohm. I believe that the 50ohm model is at least as good as the 120ohm, and may actually be slightly better due to it's updated voice coil.

Dec 16, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
According to Sennheiser, there was some improvement made to the voice coil (a change in material I believe) that went along with the switch to 50ohm. I believe that the 50ohm model is at least as good as the 120ohm, and may actually be slightly better due to it's updated voice coil.

As only the resistance is different I think the only change to the voice coil would be the amount of windings it has. Sennheiser probably just spotted a gap in the market for a high end easily driven headphone, and changed the amount to get a lower resistance. If that's the case there won't be an audible change in sound quality, only volume sensitivity.

Dec 16, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth

Thanks for the very interesting information! I had suspected something like that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back