Has anyone tried or heard of Audio Technica AT-PHA55BT (ldac reciever) , or ampio m1 vx-1880, Bluetooth 5.0, aptx HD and ldac, any good?
Jun 30, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #16 of 22
You know, it is reencoding, so some information may get lost. All codecs used for BT transfer are lossy. Ldac even adapts on three settings you can choose from- quality priority, connection stability priority, .... It even analyzes the song in advance. It encodes frequencies that are captured (in already lossy manner of original digital file) in a way that it guesses is most optimal for currently choosed priority mode. In my opinion it may cut something from the original mp3, even if it fits its kbps, simply because it is reencoding. But maybe they implemented mechanisms, that checks metadata, and keeps all information if it identifies, that it fits in. Maybe they just rearrange those ones and zeros.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #17 of 22
Second paragraph - correct. Best sollution soon may be: Android 8 Oreo phone - ldac - Shanling M0 - Shanling L2 OTG cable - Chord Mojo. Now it does not work, but Shanling promised, that they may implement via future firmware concurrent use of ldac receiver and USB OTG (now you can use either LDAC or USB out). But people say M0´s sound is already very good. And some reports say, that Chord Mojo sounds worse via USb OTG of M0 then if it is connected via USB to PC or to other DAPs via optical cable. Not sure why.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #18 of 22
In my opinion it may cut something from the original mp3, even if it fits its kbps, simply because it is reencoding.

Alright, thank you so much for your input, because it really put me on the right track. I ended up getting a FiiO BTR1 to start with. When I was talking about sound getting "better" or "worse", of course, I was not talking about any absolute categories, because I'm positive that there's no such thing. I just wanted to make sure that sound quality would not get audibly degraded in my situation, which is 320 kbps in Etymotic ER4-XR connected either to my Vivo Xplay6 with its dedicated DAC or to a Bluetooth device (also with a dedicated DAC) that receives aptX (regular, not HD) stream. Now I can honestly say that I failed to spot any clearly discernable difference in both presence of very minor noises (that are the first to be eliminated if there's more compression) and stage depth on rather peculiar tracks. That's good news, because, although I'm nearing 40s, my analytical hearing skills can hopefully still be considered above average.

Jul 3, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #19 of 22
Just keep in mind, that I am no expert in this topic. I migth be wrong. Only the engineers who implement such things mith be sure, or maybe someone working in the industry may ask.

One more thing to mention - I have read somewhere, that same chip implementzed in two different DAPs or Phones resulted in two different sounds. My guess is, that manufacturers may parametrize or modify the software, that goes with the chip, or they can tune somehow the sound to get the sound they wish to get. Or they just may keep it in factory settings. They may also use different quality components - board, cabling, connectors, shielding etc. Therefore, you never know how it will sound until bunch of reviews confirm the sound character and weaknesses. If you are interested in such things, try to read through or ask for explanation in Radsone thread. That PR guy seem friendly and he knows what they were doing, he shared few information about the challenges they faced when they were implementing their Aptx HD receiver.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #20 of 22
Can Ampio P1 VS-1480 work as USB DAC for Windows 10 PC, transmitting LDAC-enabled output to headphones?

Sep 26, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #21 of 22
Can Ampio P1 VS-1480 work as USB DAC for Windows 10 PC, transmitting LDAC-enabled output to headphones?
No.
Someone asked this on their FB page and Ampio replies as "The DAC/AMP can only works as a receiver, not a transmitter".
Although I can relate to your need of USB LDAC transmitter; it would be good to see such products, but there are none AFAIK.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back