has anyone tried k701s with presonus hp4
Jul 10, 2009 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jawang

500+ Head-Fier
I currently have the following rig

laptop -> emu0202 -> presonus hp4 -> dt770 250ohm

which sounds great to my ears, but its also the first decent setup ive ever listened to, so im thinking about trying out more headphones

if I choose to buy akg k701s, would i need to invest in another amp to get better sound than the dt770s, or would the presonus suffice as a temporary solution (until I get more money)?

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 4
You don't have to invest in another amp if it's satisfied your needs, just keep in mind that always will be better amp than Presonus hp4.
k701smile.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 4
I don't think you'd need another amp. Just try it with the 701's and see how she goes. I don't own the 701's by I have a HP4 in the mail somewhere that I'm planing on using with my Dt 150's and HF-2's, when they arrive. I'll post some impressions when I get it.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 4
I have a Presonus Central Station which I think - I stress "think" - has the same headamps as the HP4. I personally did not like the combo. The 701s are difficult to drive to their full potential. They tend to respond to warmer sounding amps which my Central Station is most certainly not.

Definitely give it a go first. Give yourself some time to adjust to their sound sig since it will be very different from your 770s. I have yet to own a brand new pair so I can't speak to their often talked about extended burn-in time. If you are buying new, as a general rule of thumb I suggest letting them cook for at least 100 hours before you start sitting down with them for some serious listening. Then you can start to judge.

The 701s tend to be pretty divided in people's opinions of them. I, for one, love them. Ultimately, only you can decide but I think they are at least worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back