Has anyone tried Headroom amps as pre-amps?
Jul 8, 2001 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MessierObject

New Head-Fier
I've got a Headroom Max, and some very decent pre-amps (Conrad-Johnson, Forte). Noticing that the RCA outs on the Max's back respond to the volume control (unlike my old Stax amp), I experimentally compared the Max to them.

Whoa! It seemed better in all ways! Primarily, the sound was "rounder", with distinctly better bass and a deeper 3D dropback from the speakers (ProAc Response 2, driven by tubed Audio Research power amp).

Without turning this thread-opener into a full and perhaps pointless review, I'd like to know if others in this forum have similar reports. If so, we have some verrry interesting messages for Tyll...

Jul 8, 2001 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 4
>Without turning this thread-opener into a full and perhaps pointless
>review, I'd like to know if others in this forum have similar
>reports. If so, we have some verrry interesting messages for Tyll...

Actually, the HeadRoom web site mentions using the Max as a pre-amp
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2001 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 4
I've tried my Maxed Out Home as a preamp. It is okay, and probably as good as some budget preamps. It was nowhere near as good as my Exposure preamp, however.

I would consider using the Maxed Out Home as a preamp in my second system (which is based around headphones, and in which the speakers are secondary), but it would need more inputs, as well as a line out.

Once again, I would request Headroom to make a version of their amps with multiple inputs and a line out. This would probably increase the cost, but it would make the amp far more versatile, and would attract a lot of purchasers who would otherwise buy a normal preamp.

Jul 9, 2001 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 4
Damn, I wish you hadn't told me that. Now I have to buy one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back