Has anyone tried Consonance Cyber 20 by Opera Audio?
May 13, 2004 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gundam91

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, has anyone here tried this amp? I read the review on Positive Feedback (http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue11/cyber20.htm) and contacted the distributor. He's telling me that there's a waiting list for this amp. So I am wondering if anybody here has heard one. I am planning on hooking it up to the Senn. HD600.

FrankC
orphsmile.gif

May 15, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 4
Yes, I've heard it - in fact I bought one last month. (I'm not suprised that the US distributors have run out - shows what the power of a positive review can do.)

I like it a lot, and in fact I've been planning to post some impressions of it here, but the problem is I haven't heard any really good amps to compare it to. I've directly compared it to a Pimeta, and it's way better, clearly in another league (as it should be for the price). Also, from memory, it's a lot better than an X-Cans V3. The sound is sweet but quite detailed; the sound stage is awesome and musical timbres sound very realistic. I wouldn't say it's flawless though; for one thing, at the high impedance setting it has a slight hum; only barely audible, but it's defintely there. It's also responded well to my first attempts at tube rolling; replacing the EL84s with JJs and the 12AU7 with a NOS seimens tightened up what was a somewhat slow bass.

One other thing to note is that here in Australia I could get the Cyber-20 at a much lower comparative price point than it sells for in the US; it cost me about the same as an MG-Head DT OTL. In the states it seems like there are a lot more good amps at the same price point as the Cyber-20 (like the Earmax and the Singlepower PPX).

Nevertheless, I have to say, it's rocking my world; with my HD-650s, it's the best setup I've ever heard, by a long margin.

May 15, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 4
Riddley,

Thanks for the helpful info. A friend of mine in Shanghai is checking out for me what it really cost in China. I guess it probably cost about US$100 over there. I was trying to get one through Opera Audio's distributor in Taiwan, and they told me they don't carry these. Then I contacted Opera Audio (China) to see if it is possible to get a 110V version anywhere in Asia, and they told me no. So, I guess I will have to eat the cost. The price is US$650 here in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back