Has anyone tested the Beoplay h5
Jul 10, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #31 of 201
I had a listen to to the H5 and Bose Soundsport wireless today. Note that my intention for getting a wireless earphone is for office use(headphones are too goofy) and not for the product intended usage (sports).

Overall Sound. They both sound quite similar on initial listen. Large amount of bass, neutral mids with some emphasis on the upper midrange. I think the Bose and B&O sound signature is quite similar. They work well with good recordings but will sound thin and sibilant when fed with typical modern pop.

Bass. Both have very significant bass boost. I did't have my T20i with me but i suspect they have similar amount of bass. Bose seem to have more emphasis in the upper bass area and some bleeding into the mids. This actually makes it sound more fun initially but having owned another Bose earphone, i know this emphasis and midrange bleed can induce headache in long listening session as it is a distortion. H5 is much more well behaved in this area. It's quite fast, no bleed into midrange, and it even throughout the range. The bass quality is actually really surprising for me. It is even better than RHA T20i while being wireless.

Midrange. They both share a fairly neutral mids. Not very full but not too thin either. There's a slight hint of warmth that gives voice some foundation which so many high end earphones and headphones lack. Upper midrange is where things start to fall apart to me. They are sibilant capable. They do not work very well with modern pop. Female vocals often sound shrill and harsh. They are not that bad in that it sounds piercing but if this is your main earphone and you love female vocals, do have a good listen to them first.

Treble. On the Bose, it's quite well tune. It lacks a little extension in the very high end. Other than that, it has just the right amount of treble. Not dark or bright. H5 has a little more emphasis in this area. Some would say they are 'neutral', for my taste, it's a little bit too much but still bearable. it's somewhere in the middle between DT880 and HD600.

Soundstage. Things get a little strange in this area for good and bad. Bose has a wide soundstage but poor imaging. Everything sounds quite fuzzy. H5 has a smaller soundstage but much better depth and layering which is a bit weird to me. I always find that earphones that have good bass, soundstage and dynamics always have large drivers. It's strange to me that H5 has two out of the three. 

Detail. Bose have quite low level of detail throughout the whole range. This is not a earphone that you want to do any serious listening. H5 has one of two levels more detail especially in the bass. The Bass performance is uncharacteristic for a wireless earphone. Unfortunately, the same can't be said about the midrange and treble. They are better than the bose but not enough fitness to make treble sound smooth and natural. There's always harshness.

Design. Both are surprisingly light earphones. Not heavy at all. Bose cable is softer.  They both have different tips and it's entirely up to your preference which is better. With stock tips, Bose is more secure however the H5 tips are changeble with 3rd party tips. Both are equally comfortable. H5 has one big killer feature. The charging box. This is the deal breaker for me. With the Bose, you need to plug the charging cable to the port on one side of the earphone while for the H5, you just place them on the stand. This is a big deal as it means you can easily charge the H5 while you take a phone while for the Bose it will be too cumbersome to constantly plug and unplug it.

Conclusion. In grand scheme of things, both are actually quite good. They are better than some ways than it's cable competitor but ultimately fall short especially in the treble region. So which one is better? Bose is the more pleasing sounding but H5 has more fitnesse. If the slightly hot midrange does not bother you, H5 is the better sounding one by a good distance. That being said, Bose is a lot cheaper. Bose has bigger bang for buck but nifty H5 exist.

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #32 of 201
Thanks for the detailed thoughts. I owned the soundsport wireless too and thought the sound was pretty good. I had hoped the H5 would be a big improvement for the price. A big issue with the Bose is sound leakage in noisy environments like a train.

Jul 10, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #33 of 201
The freedoms sound excellent. Deep bass wide soundsage. Really impressive and the best I've ever heard from Bluetooth ear buds. But the fit is fussy and for me the electronics module weight pulled them out of my ear on the right side. I had to return them.

I had high hopes for the H5 but it sounds like another misfire. Mine arrive Tuesday from amazon. We shall see.

It would be great if you can compare the sound between the 2!

Thanks.

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #36 of 201
Okay, received these last night.  Have recently owned the Freedom and Soundsport Wireless.  Also trying a pair of the Panasonic Wings believe it or not.

First, the positive.  I am not an audiophile but I do appreciate good sound.  Sound is excellent in these.  Definitely the best I have heard from Bluetooth earbuds.  There is more depth and detail in these than the Bose and the Freedom.  The Freedom is a close second, but to me the imaging and soundstage in these is better.  It's noticeable.  Everything sounds alive and open.  With some tweaking on the app, base is adequate.  I am positively addicted to the sound of these and to me, it is worth the $50 upgrade over the Freedoms if sound is most important.  The Bose sound quite nice as well provided you are in a quiet environment.  But the open ear design degrades the sound quality quickly if there is ambient noise present.  The Panasonics, for what it's worth, sound pretty good.  They boom a bit more in a Beats type fashion which is fine for the gym but not so much for critical listening. 

Now the negatives.  Design and fit are terrible.  The cord is too stiff and heavy and as mentioned above, it pulls at the earbuds.  There is simply no way you could run with these.  I even watched the Beoplay video of the guy running - what a joke.  They must have been stapled in his ears.  I did a stairmaster workout last night and any movement made these feel like they were going to fall out. I did not try the included comply tips because I know from the Freedoms that the sport-based comply tips degrade sound too much for my liking.  I have isolation tips on order and am going to give them a try in hopes of getting a more secure fit.  In comparison to the Freedoms, the fit is worse and that is saying something because the Freedoms are ultra fussy to fit.  The Soundsports fit is excellent and comfortable.  No fuss at all.  Surprisingly, the Panasonic's fit pretty well although they don't seal off the ear all the way.  They are similar to the Beats Powerbeats in terms of fit. 

Overall, I like the sound enough that I am going to try to experiment with some different tips in hopes of getting a secure enough fit to keep them.  I can probably live with using them for non-running activities if I can get a tight enough fit for regular gym use.  My Sony ASB600s work great for running but sound mediocre at best.   I also have Sony Hybrid tips which I am trying today.  I will report back with any success.  Its a shame that they missed on the design aspects of these earbuds as the sound quality is quite an achievement.  My search for the perfect BT sports earbuds continues... 

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #37 of 201
  Okay, received these last night.  Have recently owned the Freedom and Soundsport Wireless.  Also trying a pair of the Panasonic Wings believe it or not.

First, the positive.  I am not an audiophile but I do appreciate good sound.  Sound is excellent in these.  Definitely the best I have heard from Bluetooth earbuds.  There is more depth and detail in these than the Bose and the Freedom.  The Freedom is a close second, but to me the imaging and soundstage in these is better.  It's noticeable.  Everything sounds alive and open.  With some tweaking on the app, base is adequate.  I am positively addicted to the sound of these and to me, it is worth the $50 upgrade over the Freedoms if sound is most important.  The Bose sound quite nice as well provided you are in a quiet environment.  But the open ear design degrades the sound quality quickly if there is ambient noise present.  The Panasonics, for what it's worth, sound pretty good.  They boom a bit more in a Beats type fashion which is fine for the gym but not so much for critical listening. 

Now the negatives.  Design and fit are terrible.  The cord is too stiff and heavy and as mentioned above, it pulls at the earbuds.  There is simply no way you could run with these.  I even watched the Beoplay video of the guy running - what a joke.  They must have been stapled in his ears.  I did a stairmaster workout last night and any movement made these feel like they were going to fall out. I did not try the included comply tips because I know from the Freedoms that the sport-based comply tips degrade sound too much for my liking.  I have isolation tips on order and am going to give them a try in hopes of getting a more secure fit.  In comparison to the Freedoms, the fit is worse and that is saying something because the Freedoms are ultra fussy to fit.  The Soundsports fit is excellent and comfortable.  No fuss at all.  Surprisingly, the Panasonic's fit pretty well although they don't seal off the ear all the way.  They are similar to the Beats Powerbeats in terms of fit. 

Overall, I like the sound enough that I am going to try to experiment with some different tips in hopes of getting a secure enough fit to keep them.  I can probably live with using them for non-running activities if I can get a tight enough fit for regular gym use.  My Sony ASB600s work great for running but sound mediocre at best.   I also have Sony Hybrid tips which I am trying today.  I will report back with any success.  Its a shame that they missed on the design aspects of these earbuds as the sound quality is quite an achievement.  My search for the perfect BT sports earbuds continues... 

What a brilliant bit of feedback - thanks so much @clerkpalmer.

Chuckled when I read "I watched the Beoplay video of the guy running - what a joke" as I thought exactly the same! Typical corporate marketing I guess but not cool. I did however have similar issues with the Jaybird X2s but with the right Comply tips managed to get them to stick during running - saying that I was totally unimpressed by the degraded sound quality.

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #38 of 201
I ordered them too and looking forward to Monday when they will arrive. Which Comply sizes are needed for these? Tx-200? Any idea if the Tsx-200 have any advantage over the Tx-200?

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #39 of 201
  I ordered them too and looking forward to Monday when they will arrive. Which Comply sizes are needed for these? Tx-200? Any idea if the Tsx-200 have any advantage over the Tx-200?

TX-200 fit on mine just fine.  They definitely improve the fit and seal although the sound quality is not as nice as the silicone pieces.  Withholding judgment until I hit the gym or take a walk as to whether they address the fit issue entirely. 

Jul 12, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #40 of 201

They don't mention it on the Kickstarter, but will shoot them a Tweet as I'd want that too!

Any news. Still debating between Beoplay H5 and EOZ One. Since it comes for casual using, commuting and walking etc, EOZ One might be a better fit and save me 100 bucks. Only thing that worries me is if I drop out on my Beoplay H5 preorder, which surprisingly still hasn't shipped, it might be a long wait for EOZ One.

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #41 of 201

Any news. Still debating between Beoplay H5 and EOZ One. Since it comes for casual using, commuting and walking etc, EOZ One might be a better fit and save me 100 bucks. Only thing that worries me is if I drop out on my Beoplay H5 preorder, which surprisingly still hasn't shipped, it might be a long wait for EOZ One.

I've tweeted them twice and no answer what-so-ever, not a great sign!

Jul 15, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #42 of 201
Had these for 5 days and I'm really on the fence about keeping them. The fit issues makes these unpleasant. The comply isolation do the best but even with them they feel like they are coming out even though they do not. Running is absolutely not an option. Gym with comply is barely acceptable. At the office at your desk no issues.

The sound almost makes up for the fit issues but for 250 seems like they should be perfect. Guess I will give them a few more tries.

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #43 of 201
I have spent a lot of money on wireless ear buds. I can't believe that anyone likes jay birds x2. The sound is awful and clips easily at low volume. The absolute best sounding and not too expensive I have to add are the rbh epsb. The nuforce b6i is good for a bit more bass but for the most detailed sound, he'll for everything I go the rbh epsb over and over. I have 7 pairs of bt earbuds as I find there usually is never any good comparisons. I really want to know if these b and o earbuds will beat my rbh ePsbs. I'm assuming no but if anyone can do a comparison of be more than greatful. Stay clear of jaybirds ****. So far rbh epsb or nuforce b6i with either korg iaudiogate or kaisertone. This is the best bt sound I have found

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #44 of 201

The NuForce B6i has no bass what-so-ever, I returned them within a day; tried all tips along with my own and it was pitiful.  The best sounding bass wise by a MILE are the QCY QY12 or Jesbod QY13 (just re-branded QCY), I use the Jesbod QY13 for running as they're an over-ear version of the QY12 and have no complaints at all.  Actually, all the QCY manufactured (also re-branded as Jesbod, SoundPeats, Sendis, Innoo Tech etc.) QY models have great bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back