Has anyone tested the Beoplay h5
Jul 1, 2016 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 201

smokecrack

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a decent sounding pair of wireless earbuds for walking to the office and for the gym. These look on the expensive side, but small enough and convenient for everyday use. As a bonus, they look pretty sleek. I do wish it could be charged by a standard micro-usb cable, but the charging dock looks super convenient to use so no complaints.

Demo video
Product page
Promotional video

I already have a pair of Grado SR325i's for home use and some Aurisonics Rockets for critical listening (these are unbelievable by the way). While the Aurisonics are water-proof and look tough enough for running I don't want a cable.

Has anyone tested these out? I have friends who say that B&O is just marketing like BOSE. From reading some reviews it seems that B&O does make quality stuff, but overpriced. And lastly, should I be looking at any competing products in the same price range?

tl;dr

• Has anyone tested these out?
  • Should I be looking at any competing products in the same price range?

Jul 2, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #2 of 201
I can't find any reviews online yet, so I may pop into my local store this afternoon to audition them.  I've been pretty disappointed with every other wireless sports headphone on the market, flat sounding, no bass etc.  My current ones I'm using are the QCY QY12 and they are by far the best I've found.  Will report back later if I get a chance to audition them...

Jul 2, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #3 of 201
I ordered them on July 1st, but don't know yet when they arrive. Got them from Amazon.co.uk, since post Brexit GBP value makes it much cheaper to order them from UK than what it would be to get them from the U.S. They don't have it in stock yet though, so who knows when they are going to arrive. :sweat_smile:

For gym I'd recommend Photive BTE50, because I don't really trust that Beoplay will survive through sweaty conditions. I'm going to use them just for casual listening on the go.

Jul 3, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 201
I ordered them on July 1st, but don't know yet when they arrive. Got them from Amazon.co.uk, since post Brexit GBP value makes it much cheaper to order them from UK than what it would be to get them from the U.S. They don't have it in stock yet though, so who knows when they are going to arrive. :sweat_smile:

For gym I'd recommend Photive BTE50, because I don't really trust that Beoplay will survive through sweaty conditions. I'm going to use them just for casual listening on the go.

Those Photives are huge compared to the Beoplay H5. I need something that just disappears and doesn't fall out when I go jogging.

Jul 3, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 201
  Those Photives are huge compared to the Beoplay H5. I need something that just disappears and doesn't fall out when I go jogging.

I can pretty much guarantee you that Photives fit great and won't fall out while jogging. I have been running with them for at least 1500 miles. 
wink.gif

I give you that they are nowhere as pretty as Beoplay H5, but for exercising they are tremendous value. I'll let you know how Beoplay H5 fits in comparison after they arrive. 

Jul 4, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 201
I'm desperate to see how these perform as I've been looking for a replacement for my old Jaybird Bluebuds X and the really like B&O gear.
Went to both John Lewis and the B&O store in Selfridges Lon yesterday and neither had a pair!
Any updates from the community would be ace.

Jul 4, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #7 of 201
I'm desperate to see how these perform as I've been looking for a replacement for my old Jaybird Bluebuds X and the really like B&O gear.
Went to both John Lewis and the B&O store in Selfridges Lon yesterday and neither had a pair!
Any updates from the community would be ace.

I have not heard them yet (may do that later), but I'm worried about the cord covering as it feels like it will fray severely within months.  I was able to handle them at my local store, but did not want to listen to them because I did not have any ear plugs or foams of my own.

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #8 of 201
  ...so I may pop into my local store this afternoon to audition them...  Will report back later if I get a chance to audition them...

popcorn.gif

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #9 of 201
I bought a pair last week. Here are some impressions:

Materials and build quality is lovely. They're not cheap and they don't feel like it either.
I love the charging cube that the earphones magnetically snap to.

At first listen, they sounded a bit too bright in the treble, but two things have changed this for me. The first thing was a software update that was immediately available. This seemed to tone down the brightness. You can also adjust the sound profile with the Beoplay app. I nudged it up into the 'warmer' part of the spectrum to get a bit more bass thump. The soundstage is decent and there's plenty of detail picked out.

Secondly, although they come with 7(!) different eartips, I bought some TS-200 Comply Comfort tips and they really put the icing on the cake. A really good canal seal, with a bit more noise isolation and a really satisfying bass.

Battery life seems to be good and tallies with B&O's claims. After a 90 minute commute they were still reporting 100%, and it was only when I wore them at lunchtime they went down to 80%.

I also worry a little about the fabric on the cord fraying, but we shall have to see. If you move your head around a lot and the cord rubs against your clothes then the rubbing sound is transmitted into the earphones. I was wearing a shirt and the cord rubbed a bit against my collar, but I don't move my head around a lot when I'm walking so it isn't really an issue. At one point I tucked the middle section of the cord into my collar at the back and this stopped any movement. I guess if you're running you wouldn't be wearing a shirt, so again it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I'm really pleased with them. I was so eager to get them I ordered online but the order seemed to mess up at the last moment, so I went and bought some from the B&O store in Hanover Sq in London. Annoyingly, the next day my online order arrived.

If anyone wants to buy them so I don't have to go through the hassle of sending them back then please let me know. I'll knock a tenner off! I work in London.

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #11 of 201
I bought a pair last week. Here are some impressions:

Materials and build quality is lovely. They're not cheap and they don't feel like it either.
I love the charging cube that the earphones magnetically snap to.

At first listen, they sounded a bit too bright in the treble, but two things have changed this for me. The first thing was a software update that was immediately available. This seemed to tone down the brightness. You can also adjust the sound profile with the Beoplay app. I nudged it up into the 'warmer' part of the spectrum to get a bit more bass thump. The soundstage is decent and there's plenty of detail picked out.

Secondly, although they come with 7(!) different eartips, I bought some TS-200 Comply Comfort tips and they really put the icing on the cake. A really good canal seal, with a bit more noise isolation and a really satisfying bass.

Thanks for the first thoughts.

Would be great to hear your thoughts on the sound after a few more days break-in. Pleased to hear there is a good amount of bass - as workout buds this would be essential (for me at least).

Jul 5, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #12 of 201
Very tempted by these. Can anybody who has a pair, comment on the size? Would like some bluetooth earphones that are fairly discrete, and I've seen some which look like wine corks sticking out of your ears...

Jul 6, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #15 of 201
I know it sounds counterintuitive, but I hope they aren't very good at noise isolation. I'm planning to use these on a commute and running outside. It's good to let a little sound in in both scenarios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back