Has anyone seen/tried the new Sandisk?
May 2, 2006 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

LaBreaHead

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone seen/tried a new e200-series Sandisk Sansa flash player? Any initial thoughts or comments from someone who has at least held it?

I went to a Best Buy (in the U.S.) on Sunday to check out the new e200-series Sandisk Sansa flash players. I had hoped that one player would be out of the box and in use as a demonstration model.

Wrong -- Best Buy had several of the 2GB Sansas, and even one 4GB player already, on the shelves, but they said they couldn't open the sealed box, as they would then have to sell the player as an "open box" item -- i.e., for less money. Another customer was there to see the Sansa, eager to spend his money, but neither of us considered buying without at least holding the player, and preferably checking it out. The sales person's big "pitch" was that the illustration on the box was exact size ...

The similar new Samsung model was also on the shelves, but also in sealed packaging. The sales person tried to sell the other propsective customer on some other, 1GB Samsung model. Of course, there were several iPod demonstration models, and an iRiver and a Creative Sleek -- not a comprehensive cross-section of the chain's offerings -- but only the iPod Nano was working, connected as it was to the iPod Hi-Fi (or whatever it's called).

May 5, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 5
My local BestBuy had a Sansa 4gb on display to try out. This player has controls that you have to try to see if you like them.

May 5, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 5
The two Best Buys I've been to recently have the 2GB and 4GB versions in sealed boxes, on the shelf -- no display models, and they won't open a box, just to let me see and hold one. I probably would have made an impulse buy, but they lost a sale there.

Now that I've had time to think about it, I don't want to be a beta tester for something that might not be ready for primetime. I believe the new Sansas will be successful, in time. Competition should increase between now and the year-end, which could be good for the consumer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back