Has anyone seen Ron Fricke's Chronos?
Jan 18, 2010 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cbax19

New Head-Fier
I stumbled on this visually and musically impressive film while channel surfing one day. There is some stunning time-lapse camera work, and a continuous new-agey soundtrack by Michael Sterns. It takes on the epic task of covering the rise of world civilization in 45 minutes.

It's worth checking out on Hulu or picking up a DVD.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 5
I will have to check it out. I have heard Baraka is excellent too, but I haven't had a chance to pick it up.

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 5
I watched Chronos recently after seeing Baraka not too long ago. Chronos was interesting but Baraka was quite awesome. It's Blu-ray edition is the best looking home video release ever. I would highly recommend it, but only when you can see it on Blu-ray on a decent screen. The DVD does the film absolutely no justice.

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 5
I have the DVD. At one time I had a video CD of it, if anyone still remembers what video cds are? I also have the first pressing of the soundtrack by Michael Sterns on LP. So ya, I guess you would call me a fan of it. What it does for me is inspire me to go out and do photography. I'm sure a lot of people see many things in it. All I see is a ton of work to do the photography. The hours and days to set everything up. Somehow it is also a new way to look at the concept of time. I think they used to show it in planetariums when it first came out? There are a lot of great recordings by Sterns. He uses a hand made modular synth. The name escapes me now. They are like a moog modular but really expensive. All of Sterns work is quality and has a sound different from anyone. If you would look at this synth it seems like one of the most daunting things ever. A number of little patch cords gets the thing to make sounds. People who are into getting one even go to the factory and will trade labor for modular synth pieces. After a while I guess you would have a wall, like Michael Sterns, of all these little boxes to patch together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back