Has anyone resodered/recabled their SA5000? Need help..
Feb 11, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be willing to give you mine.. (I have a 650 stock cable that I don't use) Alex was nice enough to recable my SA5000 for basically free, so why not return the favor by helping out a fellow headfier..

Would you really be prepared to do that? If you want, I can pay for the cable and delivery as long as it isn't some insane price.

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you really be prepared to do that? If you want, I can pay for the cable and delivery as long as it isn't some insane price.

Well, if Alex is ok with it.. I'd just send him the stock cable.. Would be cheaper for me since he lives in the US.. If this does happen.. I would only ask for 5.00 via PP to cover the shipping.. If it's less I will refund whats left..

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Thats not even £7 (not including P & P)! So can I hack off those pins to hopefully reveal some black, green and red wires? By the way, I really appreciate the help I'm getting, thanks guys.

So, you are going to do the recabling yourself??

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, you are going to do the recabling yourself??

Yes because I can't bear to be stuck with just the e3c for any amount of time if I'm at home.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #35 of 43
It's sometimes possible to locate exact place where the wire is broken inside cable - bent the cable in different locations, trying to make it work (or not).

If it doesn't work, I would unscrew plactic Y-joint and use meter to measure resistance from plug to joint and up. This way you'll be able to locate, where the problem is. The cable is long enough, so you can ever short it to bypass the wrong piece.

The problem with replacement cables - you will loose some details and clarity. Original cable is actually very good. If you want more weight though, the replacement cable will work.

Feb 12, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by AsuAmo76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's sometimes possible to locate exact place where the wire is broken inside cable - bent the cable in different locations, trying to make it work (or not).

If it doesn't work, I would unscrew plactic Y-joint and use meter to measure resistance from plug to joint and up. This way you'll be able to locate, where the problem is. The cable is long enough, so you can ever short it to bypass the wrong piece.

The problem with replacement cables - you will loose some details and clarity. Original cable is actually very good. If you want more weight though, the replacement cable will work.

That seems like a very plausible solution and I'm going to give it a shot. Gonna have to make do without a voltmetre as I reckon the break is in the length of cable within the housing and I want to accomplish this as cheaply as possible. What I'll do is cut off the suspected length, resolder and hopefully have a fully functioning headphone again. But I don't know what kind of soldering iron to get. Will the first iron on this page suffice? http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?...did=9&doy=12m2

EDIT: I'm going in...

Feb 12, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #37 of 43
After spending the better part of afternoon attempting to correct the problem I now have a headphone that doesn't make any sound at all
plainface.gif
. That was a great deal of hassle so I'm going to give it one more try, then if that fails, find someone with a lot more skill than me to fix it.

kool bubba ice: if you're still prepared to sell/give me that cable then please PM me. ATM my e3cs are the only thing in my possession producing sound, crappy sound at that.

Feb 12, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #38 of 43
I am Alex who kool bubba ice is talking about. I had a left over HD650 cable which i removed the headphone end plugs from so I was able to repair his SA5000's with.

Few Noted:

The SA5000's ear pads do in fact come off.
There are 4 screws that you remove once the pads are off.
The #1 breaking point in the SA5000's is in the Y split.
The SA5000 cable is one of the worst cables I have ever worked with.

I can answer any specific questions you may have as long as I have the answer to the question.

-Alex-

Feb 12, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am Alex who kool bubba ice is talking about. I had a left over HD650 cable which i removed the headphone end plugs from so I was able to repair his SA5000's with.

Few Noted:

The SA5000's ear pads do in fact come off.
There are 4 screws that you remove once the pads are off.
The #1 breaking point in the SA5000's is in the Y split.
The SA5000 cable is one of the worst cables I have ever worked with.

I can answer any specific questions you may have as long as I have the answer to the question.

-Alex-

Thanks for the help Alex. I've decided that I really don't know what I'm doing and should find a capable DIY'er who can do the job. As far as i know, I could've irrevocably damaged the headphones. So my task now is to find that person and preferably in the UK...

Feb 12, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Thanks for the help Alex. I've decided that I really don't know what I'm doing and should find a capable DIY'er who can do the job. As far as i know, I could've irrevocably damaged the headphones. So my task now is to find that person and preferably in the UK...

If you can't find someone in the UK please feel free to send me a PM and I will gladly try to work something out with you.

-Alex-

Feb 12, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can't find someone in the UK please feel free to send me a PM and I will gladly try to work something out with you.

-Alex-

I can't be any more grateful of your offer and you will be the first person I seek should my attempts at finding nearby DIY'er fail. Thanks

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

After spending the better part of afternoon attempting to correct the problem I now have a headphone that doesn't make any sound at all
plainface.gif
. That was a great deal of hassle so I'm going to give it one more try, then if that fails, find someone with a lot more skill than me to fix it.

kool bubba ice: if you're still prepared to sell/give me that cable then please PM me. ATM my e3cs are the only thing in my possession producing sound, crappy sound at that.

So you are going to try to find a DYer in the UK? Or have Alex help you.. If Alex decides to help you I will ship them directly to him.. If you find a DIYer in the UK PM me & I'll send you the cable..I Only ask that you pay for the postage..

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #43 of 43
I'll have to remember this thread - I will likely need to refer to it someday.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back