Has anyone made a home subwoofer from a car subwoofer ?
Oct 31, 2007 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

leoftw

100+ Head-Fier
I have one 10" W7 that I have . I was going to sell it but I was wondering if I could make use of it as a home speaker ?

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=5

7594.jpg

Oct 31, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 12
Yeah...many people have done so. Just throw it in a nice large box and you'll have some nice bass.

Use WinDAS to figure out how big of a box you need. My only question is...what are you gonna use to power that monster?

Nov 1, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #3 of 12
Any suggestions for a good amp ? oh I'm not rich so recommend something I could afford . I have a car amp but I don't think that would work LOL

Nov 1, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #4 of 12
Thread where i had the same question. Prozakk seems to have been banned but he didn't think too highly of the car subs for home use as the frequency responces quoted for them are measured in car but that sub seems pretty beefy so you might be ok.

I'd say get one of the Plate amps on www.partsexpress.com they have quite a few to choose from.

Nov 1, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #5 of 12
thank you very much , how good can plate amps be ?

Nov 1, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #6 of 12
There are many good plate amps. Try partsexpress.com. A BASH plate amp would do the job well.

But first, see how low you can get the W7 to go. If it doesn't get close to 20Hz at -3dB...I wouldn't even bother with it. This is assuming you want to use it as a home theater sub. If you just want to listen to music, 30Hz will suffice

Nov 1, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 12
Get a pro amp like the Behringer EP1500 or the 2500 for a little more money and power. Very popular.
You will need some sort of crossover... If you are going to use the sub out from your receiver it should have a subwoofer crossover setting. I know the 13w7 is great for home theater use but im not too sure about the 10w7.
If you want to go all out just sell the 10w7 and get some 18" subs (Mach5 MJ18) for an Infinite Baffle!

Nov 1, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 12
I built a sealed enclosure using a 10" Kicker CompVR and a plate amp from PartsExpress. It was fun! Before that, I had purchased a ported PC Subwoofer with a 6.5" woofer; I bought a 6.5" Kicker Freeair sub to replace the factory one and it was much better! Also aquired a dual-10" sealed automotive sub enclosure with two 10" Kicker Comps and used the plate amp from the other 10" encosure to power it. Lots of fun. Just make sure you have the crossover set to be balanced with your main set of speakers or it will sound overwhelming.

Which reminds me, someone posted a thread recently that made me put two and two together, realizing that that little 6.5" Kicker Freeair is still here, and takes a max of 150W @ 4-Ohms. The plate amp puts out a max of 150W @ 4-Ohms. ...I think you see where this is going. I'll post pics when I'm done. ^_^

Nov 1, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Logistics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I built a sealed enclosure using a 10" Kicker CompVR and a plate amp from PartsExpress. It was fun! Before that, I had purchased a ported PC Subwoofer with a 6.5" woofer; I bought a 6.5" Kicker Freeair sub to replace the factory one and it was much better! Also aquired a dual-10" sealed automotive sub enclosure with two 10" Kicker Comps and used the plate amp from the other 10" encosure to power it. Lots of fun. Just make sure you have the crossover set to be balanced with your main set of speakers or it will sound overwhelming.

Which reminds me, someone posted a thread recently that made me put two and two together, realizing that that little 6.5" Kicker Freeair is still here, and takes a max of 150W @ 4-Ohms. The plate amp puts out a max of 150W @ 4-Ohms. ...I think you see where this is going. I'll post pics when I'm done. ^_^

I also have a Kicker Comp VR . That is very good to know . Thank you

Nov 2, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 12
don't know what kind of budget you have and/or what caliber of aesthetics you're shooting for but some suitable potential equipment might be

-the evolution a1/x1 combo by nht

-a bryston powerpac and a bryston 10b crossover or paradigm x-30 crossover

-and as for the enclosure design, follow jl's product information on their site, and/or modify accordingly...they have ample information

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #12 of 12
My old teacher, car hifist, once explained that Car subs are not good for home subs and vice versa. Car sub elements are designed to roll off faster, because once fitted in the car, the resonances of the car space tend to boost up those deep frequencies. On room enviroment, its obviously not desireable.

On the other hand, you add home subwoofer with flat (or even boosted) bass regions to a car and you end up having a bassy mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back