Has anyone here heard the new Sony PFR-V1?
Nov 28, 2007 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

catscratch

Headphoneus Supremus
AudioCubes.com - Sony PFR-V1 Personal Field Speakers - PFR-V1 -

It's too much dough to bite into without a sampler first so I am curious. Reviews gleaned from not-quite-translated Japanese sites haven't really been helpful, except in finding new and exciting ways to mangle the English language that only brainless translator automatons can produce.

Has anyone on head-fi heard these?

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 15
Yep, at least three people. iirc there's a pair for sale in the fs forum.

I'd tell you to use the search link, but searching is in a really sad state at the moment.

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 15
They're better than the K1000
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 15
003 bought a pair. I think his findings were mixed. Elephas also has a pair. I think his findings were also quite mixed. I believe neither got what they'd hoped for when buying them, but found some likable qualities. Sorry to be so vague, but I'm working from memory.

Try a search under threads started by 003 and look for K1000 killers in the title. You should find his impressions there.

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 15
Just to echo some of the people who's noted the "wierdness" in the spectrum. I had 15 minutes with the PFR-V1 with O2 system as a comparison. In my opinion the Sony's sounded very airy, with a fast attacking bass. This is unlike the attenuated "fast" bass ER-4 owners claim, but rather heavy strokes of the cello that doesn't resonate too well. There's also something a little different about the mid-high's that I noted... vastly different from AT hp's still, but definitely an exciting sound.

I would've bought it if they didn't leak so much, or if the "bass ducts" weren't so cold and tight.

Nov 29, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're better than the K1000
wink.gif

x2. not just better. they kill it.
tongue.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. not just better. they kill it.
tongue.gif

Wow really? I've never heard the K1000, but I didn't think the PFR-V1 was so much better than similarly priced full sized headphones. I'd give credit to its very forward, in front soundstage though.

Nov 29, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #14 of 15
I have a pair now with me getting ready to go under surgery for a recable. I think overall these are decent headphones if not looking at the price at all. I think these should be priced at $200 (no higher) to be honest based purely on sound quality.

-Alex-

Nov 29, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair now with me getting ready to go under surgery for a recable. I think overall these are decent headphones if not looking at the price at all. I think these should be priced at $200 (no higher) to be honest based purely on sound quality.

-Alex-

I know w had written back and forth regarding recabling, and I decided against it (with your advice).

But I disagree with your complete assessment. I do agree in parts, though.

First I am mainly a gamer, and I enjoy watching movies. If I am relaxing and listening to music, I'd use my UE11 Pro or My Ultrasone 2500's. However, my upgrade dollar goes mainly with computers!

So, I have made the statement and the disclaimer. I think these headphones are excellent for gaming and movies. However, they leak sound (as expected). I have them for sale now, and that is the main reason. I have a nagging feeling the "intimacy" is lost. Ah well, otherwise the perform substantially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back