Has anyone heard this before?
Dec 6, 2016 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Lucenzo

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I've got a ASUS Xonar Essence STX for 3.5 years now, never had a problem. Using it with both Beyerdynamic DT 880 and some generic speakers (Logitech Z 623).

But this week, all of a sudden, I've been getting this weird loud peeping noise that comes out of nowhere, and the only way I've found to make it stop, is by restarting the PC.

The first time I thought it was a one time thing and didn't bother with it.
But just now, 2 days later, it happened a second time. This time I recorded it: https://youtu.be/auidFD-mpcI

The peeping noise is there on both headphones and speakers. The volume of the peeping noise can not be effected by windows volume, even if I press the mute button. The ONLY way to change the peeping noise volume, is by using the hardware volume control on the speakers, like I did in the video.

The moments when the sound starts is also pretty random. The first time was right when I started a youtube video. The second time was right when I started a game.

Does anyone have any idea what this is, why it's doing this, but most importantly, how to fix this?

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 2
Sorry to say i dont have solution, but i got the same problem from time to time. Tried 20+ different drivers, not using ASIO and for this mostly appears when starting VideoLAN To look at film/tvseries or youtube in Chrome. I played around with different SW no difference. 
The only thing is - this never happens right from get go, i got to be running machine for few hours, so i beefed up the ventilation in the PC case and nowadays its rare occurrence, about 1 time per month.

Personally i suspect one of the capacitors to have gone bad as it only started to do that with age, but too lazy do disassemble it and too cautions to try to replace the capacitors on-board when i look at the prices of the successor cards .... bleh not paying 250 euro for STXII, no way. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back