Has anyone heard the Panasonic SL-SW650K "Shockwave" cd/am/fm?
Aug 2, 2001 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mike Walker

Doesn't pull punches
My quest for a portable cd with SENSITIVE fm/am tuner continues. I want one that receives distant fm signals at least as well as my radio-only "Walkman" type portables from Sony, Radio Shack, and Sangean. Is that too much to ask?

Has anyone here heard the Panasonic SL-SW650K "Shockwave" portable? I'm particularly interested in the tuner section, as there seems to be IMMENSELY more variation in the quality of tuners vs. cd players in portables from "major" brands.

Aug 3, 2001 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 7
I don't know if it applies to the CD players in the series, but my Panasonic AM/FM cassette player has a horrible tuner, though it is digital. My Sony SRF-40W has FAR better sensitivity than the panasonic tuner.

Aug 3, 2001 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks Voyager. I had planned on buying the SL-SW650K, but when I called J&R they offered to sell me the SL-SW899V (which oridinarily sells for 149.95) for just 125 dollars! (apparently due to an "instant rebate" from Panasonic). The SL-SW899V has a metal chassis, as opposed to plastic in the SL-SW650K. As for how well the tuner does, I have NO idea!

Aug 3, 2001 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks Redwood. The one I ordered is the 899V, not the 896 as mentioned in the review. What's the difference? I have no idea!
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2001 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 7
Sorry, that I couldn't be of more help, but I thought at least the tuner part might be the same.

Honestly, I really don't have an overview over all these 564 differen shockwave models, what their differences and similarities are....
wink.gif

Bye

Redwoood

Aug 3, 2001 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 7
Mike Walker, the SL-SW899V is the successor model to the SL-SW869V. The difference between the two is the 899 has the so-called "no-skip" Anti-Shock Memory (as opposed to the 869's Anti-Shock Memory 4.0). Change in name, but not much change in functionality. And as far as radio tuners built into portable CD players are concerned, their FM performance is mediocre at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back