Has anyone heard of an older Denon CDP...DCD S10
May 24, 2006 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

courierdriver

Headphoneus Supremus
I did a forum search, but came up with zilch on this model. Reason I ask is: there's one on ebay with a low starting price, and I'm wondering if this could be considered a good source for a decent sounding headphone rig. I'm looking for some older gear, for about $200-$250; specifically, a good CDP, with at least a coax digital-out.

This thing has that, plus optical-out; and 3-sets of analogue-outs ( two sets, unbalanced; one with variable output), and a set of XLR BALANCED
eek.gif
(!)). Only thing it doesn't have, is a removable IEC powercord).

Seems like a nice machine. Has anyone here ever owned or heard one of these?
confused.gif

May 25, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 5
I assume you are asking about Original version. There are actually the Original version, Mk I (slightly different), Mk II and Mk III.

You would need to mod it extensively for it to sound really, really good. Headphone circuit is basic, nothing much to clamour about. Almost all the E-Caps are Elna Silmic but there are too many opamps in between DAC to RCA/XLR out. It's Achilles heel, however, is the power supply, which is only a single E-I transformer. Mk I, MkII and Mk III have 2 E-I transformers.

The CDP is of a solid build though, weighing about 12kg for the Original version, transport is smooth and quiet and uses Sony laser pickup mechanism KSS240A, which is cheap and easy to source.

Conclusion:
Can act as a good transport, especially when connected to Zhaolu D2.x but if you want to use the S10 as a CDP, prepare to spend a fair sum of money and work on your soldering iron skills as well.

Hope this helps!

May 26, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the advice, friend. I think I'll pass on it, then. While I'm looking for a well-built tank-of-a transport, I don't have an outboard DAC to use right-now; so it's primary use (at least for another year, anyway) would be as a CDP.

I think I'll just keep scouting around. Peace!

May 26, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 5
Have you had any experience with Zhaolu D2.x? The Denon DCD-S10 is a good transport and connected to Zhaolu, it will serve you very well. You will need to change the LT1057 to OPA627 using browndog adapters though.

May 26, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Oak
Have you had any experience with Zhaolu D2.x? The Denon DCD-S10 is a good transport and connected to Zhaolu, it will serve you very well. You will need to change the LT1057 to OPA627 using browndog adapters though.

No, actually I don't; but I've seen some threads that mention the Zhaolu. Truth be told, I'm not much of a DIY mod-guy. I'm more of a:

"plug it in, hook it up, listen to it for a few months, and decide if I want to keep it, sell it, or send it away to be modded":

...kinda-guy
tongue.gif

Everytime I take something apart, I always end up with more parts in my hand, than was originally in the unit I performed surgery-on
rolleyes.gif
!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back