Has anyone had difficulty with corrupted memory cards in the X5 when using a Mac?
Nov 18, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #16 of 21
I see. Having read that some older Macs have trouble supporting SDXC directly, I thought that this may have been the reason for your problems. I have also read that using a different adapter did help.
It is strange that you also run into these problems when your X5 is connected via USB.
I own an X3 and am using a SDHC card so at the moment I'm afraid I have no more support to offer. To keep my FiiO SD card "tidy" i use Hidden Cleaner 2.1 for ejecting.

Sep 26, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #17 of 21
Reviving an old thread as I seem to have a similar problem.

Any luck figuring out issues with X5 corrupting SD cards?

I have a couple of macs (one on Yosemite, one on El Capitan) and the X5 1st gen that I purchased new from Amazon about a month ago along with a Sandisk 128gb card.  I got a fair amount of my library loaded on the card and was really enjoying the player until one day the card wouldn't accept writes anymore.  I tried low-level formats on both Macs and PCs but could not revive the card.  I sent the card back to Amazon and received a replacement.  Now about a week later that card has suffered the same fate as the original.

Though disappointed I can live with working around Fiio's lack of support for Macs but I can't have my cards getting corrupted every two weeks.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe

Sep 26, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #18 of 21
Hello Joe

This may or may not have to do with the Macs you're using. Do you know what drive format (FAT32?) the card was on? Did anything strange happen between the X5 (or any other device) and the card on the one fine day when your card wouldn't accept writes anymore?

What is the card like now? Is it read-only but with intact data on it?

Best regards,
Joe for FiiO

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 26, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #19 of 21
Hey Joe,
The cards were, I believe, formatted wth ExFAT which should be supported with firmware 2.5, right?  

On the first failed card - the X5 crashed/rebooted during a write operation - I had it connected via USB and was copying files over.  When I turned it on again the card was shot. (see symptoms below)  For the second card - last copy operation was with the player connected via USB but nothing seemed unusual.  

In both cases everything seemed fine but when I went to playback newly added music - not only was the new music not there but any folder I had been adding files to was shot.   For example, I was adding "The Wall" to the Pink Floyd folder that already had a number of albums.  After rebooting the pink floyd folder was there but _all_  of the subfolders, including pre-existing ones, were gone. Any attempt to write files to the card would seem to work (progress indicator showed, OS didn't report any errors) but then looking at the file system the files were not there. 

The first corrupted card went back to Amazon  The second one is pretty well dead.  In an attempt to revive it I downloaded a low level format tool and have gotten it formatted to "RAW" but trying to actually put a file system on it fails in Windows, Mac, and the X5.  

I am giving it one more try - I have one an SD card that I am loading today - I formatted in the player and connected to a backup Windows machine that I have.  Windows is showing it as FAT32. I am copying the music over again.  I'll hope this works but it's been a very frustrating experience.

Any advice or information would be most welcome.  I love the player but this issue is killing me.

Thanks,
Joe

Sep 26, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #20 of 21
Dear Joe,

I presented this scenario to our techs and at present they don't see any reason why either the Mac or the X5 would be causing this problem. At present they recommend that you monitor developments. Keep the warranty documents on your SD cards. If another card bites the dust (be it when inserted into the X5 or any other device) send the card in for warranty--and ask if they can try to diagnose the nature of the problem that occurred as well as give you a replacement.

Right now we think that these cards had just died by themselves when they just happened to be inserted in the X5. It's a bit of a fluke, but with so many X players sold someone just might hit this kind of jackpot. If more cards keep dying in there until a coincidence becomes a statistical impossibility, please send in your X5 for repair so we can see what might possibly be causing this.

Best regards,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 26, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #21 of 21
Joe,
I've been using Sandisk cards for years on all kinds of applications. DSLRs, phones, etc...)  I've got cards that i have had in service for years with no issues. The only problem I am having is with the X5. 

I appreciate the quick responses today but this has been very frustrating.  I'll send the second card back to Sandisk for warranty service.

I'll monitor the player and let you know what happens next.  I'll also get a card from another vendor to compare.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back