Has anyone gotten the Schiit Modi to work with linux?
Jul 17, 2014 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

elementxero

New Head-Fier
I am up against a wall with Debian (#!) and the more I search the more it seems that Schiit simply does not give a damn about linux users.  I've uninstalled pulse, installed alsa, configured it properly (unless I've missed something, which is always possible), and I just cannot get it to play sound at all.  Using the most recent release (Waldorf kernel) and it is seemingly hopeless.  Kind of bumming me out.

If this is a pointless struggle, let me rephrase: Can anyone suggest a DAC under $200 that DOES have good linux support?  I would not mind taking my Modi to work and pairing it with a small amp anyways (yay, excuses to buy more stuff!).

For reference, when playing a test file this is my error:

$ aplay -vD front:Device,DEV=0 piano2.wav
Playing WAVE 'piano2.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
aplay: set_params:1145: Unable to install hw params:

Also, holy ****, I made this account in 2002 and this is my first post.  Is that some kind of record?!?!

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 3
This is my 2nd post since 2005.

Anyways, just so that you wouldn't lose hope with your Modi, I wanted to confirm that it does work on linux. I know for sure raspbian and linux mint. I don't remember if I got it to work with #! though. Schiit may not give a lot of support for linux users but as far as usb dacs that are described as being plugnplay with linux and mac go, they are all very similar from a linux standpoint.

My setup is pretty simple. I use mpd and airplay (shairport) to play music. I used "aplay -l" to figure out which card and device the magni is. I set the alsa device default in the asound.conf. This might be needed for shairport but not mpd.  Then I use the same aplay -l info in the mpd.conf file. I have never played anything directly using aplay though.

asound.conf:
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 1
device 0
}

mpd.conf excerpt:
audio_output {
    type        "alsa"
    name        "Schiit"
    device        "hw:1,0"    # optional
    #format        "44100:16:2"    # optional
    mixer_type    "disabled"    # optional
    #mixer_control    "PCM"        # optional
    #mixer_index    "0"        # optional
}

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 3
Hey, I don't know if you got this working but it was fairly straightforward for me.

To see if your system can detect the Modi, do this:

Code:
 embedded-tech ~ # aplay -l **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices **** card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC889 Analog [ALC889 Analog] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC889 Digital [ALC889 Digital] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 card 1: Device [Schiit USB Audio Device], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 card 2: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Then, you need to find out where your alsa.conf file is.  For me, this was located at:

Code:
 /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf

From there I just had to modify the following lines to match the output of aplay -l, as follows (note, I commented out the original settings):

Code:
 #defaults.ctl.card 0 defaults.ctl.card 1 #defaults.pcm.card 0 defaults.pcm.card 1

Now I just have to find out how to get software volume control working....

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back