Has anyone ever tried to make up some headphones??
Sep 13, 2003 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

london luke

100+ Head-Fier
Ive got a very nice spare set of jecklinfloats...

I am so looking to find a headphone with a front sound stage.

was wondering about taking them apart and trying to make up some type of headphone where the speaker actualy faces my ears. And leaving them open design as designed. Then to close them in to help the bass.

I know this is mad... but most of us are short of a dime or two!!!

has this ever been done and could it work..??

cheers

Sep 13, 2003 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by london luke
Ive got a very nice spare set of jecklinfloats...

I am so looking to find a headphone with a front sound stage.

was wondering about taking them apart and trying to make up some type of headphone where the speaker actualy faces my ears. And leaving them open design as designed. Then to close them in to help the bass.

I know this is mad... but most of us are short of a dime or two!!!

has this ever been done and could it work..??

cheers

I made a contraption years ago Luke that consisted of a pair of 3" full range bandor drivers http://www.bandor.com/ housed in fibre glass enclosures, which I had formed by working the fibre glass into plasticine moulds and then fixing the drivers into the moulds using self tapping screws.

These "headphones" resembled a kinda turban / crash helmet come martian antenae (I wish I had a photo!) They were, in fact, ear speakers and sounded very good being driven from the speaker terminals of my (then) Audiolab 8000A but the leakage of sound (both in and out) ensured that these were "ear" speakers and not headphones in the true sense of the word if you catch my drift?

I'd love to experiment with the likes of the floats and maybe encase the drivers in a portland cement housing with a secondary ear contact receptacle which ensures the drivers remain at an equidistant position from the ears. The path between the enclosed portland driver housing and ear would consist of a semi labyrinth (balsa wood accordian configuration soaked in damar varnish) housed in an independent enclosure formed from epoxy resin with rough beach sand to eliminate standing waves. The labyrinth would resemble a semi loaded horn design (quarter wave) but there would be a bypass to ensure the HF was unaffected. A lot of work but an awesome pair of cans at the end of it!

Pinkie.

Sep 13, 2003 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 8
Mike

you need to see a doctor mate!!!!!

That sounds like the most amazing set up ever.... Want to start it????

You can use my cans and I will fund it...

Luke

Sep 14, 2003 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 8
Headwize and some other sites have articles on making electrostatic headphones. I don't trust my electronics skills enough yet to put that much voltage close to my ears, but you might want to take a look.

Sep 15, 2003 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 8
Probably end up looking something similar to this very discrete design Luke:
attachment.php

Sep 15, 2003 at 11:11 PM Post #8 of 8
By the way..... that poor b*stard in the photo apparantly collapsed 3 minutes into the photo shoot suffering from severe lack of oxygen and 6 slipped discs
eek.gif

He was later quoted as saying "superb bass and fluent midrange but then I passed out due to the excessive weight"

I think an aluminium version may be the answer for 2003, the lead enclosures were superb "sonically" but a bit of a bugger if jogging is your forte
wink.gif

Pinkie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back