Has anyone ever HEARD this hi-end SONY?
Mar 8, 2003 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

onex

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody!

Thanks for a great forum!

I recently bought the SONY MDR-CD1000 at a low price - around $80. I have read that these headphones use the same drivers as the CD3000's. Is that true? I really like the cd1000's

And plz plz plz.. if you have ever heard the phones or own them - please post a msg, since im very interested in opinions here - especialy compare to the other sony's - fx CD3000

Who has info on these phones... who has ever heard these things other than me..??!

Thx guys!

Mar 8, 2003 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 24
If you use the search function, you will find tons of info about the CD3000's. I haven't heard them, but from what I've read, they are one of the most well respected, high quality phones around here. Virtually everyone around here either owns them or wants very badly to listen to them...that's saying a lot about their reputation alone! Good luck with your search.

Mar 8, 2003 at 8:08 AM Post #3 of 24
everyone wanted to own, or use, a yoyo too
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2003 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 24
I think that you'll find that they don't use the same DRIVERS as the CD3000s, but the same TECHNOLOGY (Bio-Cellulose)

I got sucked into the same kind of thoughts / discussions when I got my original pair of CD1700s....
rolleyes.gif

The CD850 (IIRC), CD1000, CD1700, CD2000, CD3000, R10 and not forgetting the little E888 all use that same type of diaphragm

Mar 8, 2003 at 8:31 AM Post #5 of 24
I don't think CD1000 is available in US, but I'm not absolutely sure...

CD3000 drivers are what Sony advertises as "bio-cellulose diaphragm. There's very little detail about this "technology" (that I know of). I believe it was first developed for the Hi-end R10, and the same "technology" was passed down to lower end product like CD3000, CD2000, CD1700, E888, etc. and possibly CD1000 as well. It doesn't necessary mean that they use the same driver, they are just using the same "technology". It's more like a marketing ploy, which probably has little meaning to the sound quality IMO.

Mar 8, 2003 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 24
Thx for the replies guys.. What ive seen is that the shape of the CD3000 and the CD1000 is completely the same. They have the same specs (sensivity is 104db on both), but the CD1000 is completely black - thats the reason why i believed that they used the same drivers

Mar 8, 2003 at 3:23 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
just wanted to point out that "bio-cellulose diaphragm" means literally................. "PAPER diaphragm." hmm....

eek.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
eek.gif
you, you mean like whizzer cone of my 1966 Beatles 2 transistor portable radio
very_evil_smiley.gif
eek.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
eek.gif

sony would never pull a trick like that

Mar 8, 2003 at 4:30 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by robert
eek.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
eek.gif
you, you mean like whizzer cone of my 1966 Beatles 2 transistor portable radio
very_evil_smiley.gif
eek.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
eek.gif

sony would never pull a trick like that

I used to own an MDR-CD100, but I've never heard the CD3000. The main difference that I am aware of is the housing, which is plastic on the CD1000. The case for the 300 adds to the cost as well. The drivers, I suspect, are the same or very similar. Biocellulose is not paper, though it may look like it. The headphones as I recall sounded VERY clean, and noticeably better that the MDR-V900. I got rid of mine, however, when I had to give up my MZ-R3 minidisc, which would drive them (it broke). The MZ-R50, which I got to replace the R3, will not drive them properly. The amp chokes. The MDR-D77 does, however, work just dandy with the MZ-R50, and it is much more suitable for portable use than the CD1000.

Mar 8, 2003 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 24
Oh man, here goes this bio-cellulose discussion again... I think long ago we've decided that it's actually bee wings and not paper... bee wings are more clean than let's say fly wings so there...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2003 at 5:48 PM Post #12 of 24
The biocellulose is actually some bi-product of breeding some funky bacteria. Somehow they form this ultra-thin material into a driver. I'm not kidding.

Mark

Mar 8, 2003 at 5:50 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
The biocellulose is actually some bi-product of breeding some funky bacteria.

the funky bacteria in the R10 must've been cloned rather than bred, to get that funky, perfect R10 sound...

The E888 bacteria are all the cast outs
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #14 of 24
LOL!

Actually, what's the diff. between sapphire evapourated and amorphous diamond and this bio-cellulose diaphragms... what are all these materials and how do they contribute to better sound???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back