Has anyone ever compared the bling bling dock with the cotton dock?
Mar 4, 2007 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Rick Hunter

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone ever made a comparison between Alo's cotton dock and Alo's bling bling dock? How do they compare? I have the bling bling and would like to go for a cotton... (poor wallet
icon10.gif
)

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 3
I've owned both, for extended periods. I loved the look and compact size of the Bling, as well as the clear, sparkling sound.

After some dozens of hours of burn in, the Cotton Dock provided much better sound quality. It was more robust, lucid, extended from bottom to top, greater bass energy, more inner detail, and seemed to be generally more transmissive of musical information. The Cotton Dock was my reference cable. I now have a Jumbo Silk Dock (not currently available) and I feel it's even a bit better. Externally it's the same size as the Cotton Dock, though the conductors are somewhat different, as are all the "Jumbo" cables.

Cotton Dock is a superb interconnect and a very audible step up from the lovely Bling Bling Dock. Be careful not to judge it out of the box. Mine (though it might just have been mine) sounded very veiled (almost muffled) at the start, but cleared up throughout the burn in period (I don't have my notes handy, but it was about a week of intermittent play — so some dozens of hours). Some manufacturers recommend 100 hours for silver conductors, but not all silver cables are the same, so…

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks a lot Romanee, this is just what I was hoping to hear. Looks like a Cotton Dock will be here soon.

I find myself preferring the sound of silver interconnects with my HD650s... I have a jumbo cryo dock, and while it's a wonderful cable, it has a kind of warm tonality which adds to the already warm, mellow sounding HD650s... The overall resulting sound is very euphonic but a bit too mellow/laid back, lacks involvment.
I prefer my bling bling with the HD650s... sort of adds clarity/sparkle, livens things up a bit.
I was hoping that a cotton dock would be like a bling bling on steroids, and from what you've said looks like I was hoping right.
Ken, one cotton dock please... (wallet runs to hide under the bed)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back