Has anyone done a comparison of GS-1 vs. LD MKV?
Feb 2, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 5
I had the MKV and liked it very much. I use my computer into an OMZ dac as a source. Upgrade got to me and I went for the GS-1. I listen through an RS-1 and K701.

The difference is substantial. The MKV is nice, particularly for the money, but the GS-1 is better in everyway. It has more balance and neutrality, which is what I value in an amp. The source and phones should have the signature. Detail, seperation and tonality are all part of the improvement plus the GS-1 is dead quiet. Very black background.

I sold the MKV after I got the GS-1 (with stepped attenuator, btw). The price difference is quite large, 3x as much. I am always amazed with the sound I have now, so it was worth it for me.

Hope that helps a little

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks Hardflip. If you can remember, how do the bass levels compare? Does the GS-1 provide more bass or the same? It seems to me that the MKV is a bit shy of bass and lowers the treble a bit more than I'd like.

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 5
I would say they are about the same in the amount of bass that they have. They are both very neutral amps and play what they are given.

I like the treble to be articulate, but not bright and over-whelming. That is one thing I loved about the RS-1's the moment I got them and the GS-1 compliments in that regard.

Feb 10, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardflip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the MKV and liked it very much. I use my computer into an OMZ dac as a source. Upgrade got to me and I went for the GS-1. I listen through an RS-1 and K701.

The difference is substantial. The MKV is nice, particularly for the money, but the GS-1 is better in everyway. It has more balance and neutrality, which is what I value in an amp. The source and phones should have the signature. Detail, seperation and tonality are all part of the improvement plus the GS-1 is dead quiet. Very black background.

I sold the MKV after I got the GS-1 (with stepped attenuator, btw). The price difference is quite large, 3x as much. I am always amazed with the sound I have now, so it was worth it for me.

Hope that helps a little

Thanks for your impressions. I am looking into purchasing the MKV because of its price.

Most of the threads here compared the MKV to the Gilmore Lite which is closer to the MKV's selling price (plus shipping)
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back