Has anyone compared a PPA to other amps?
Aug 28, 2003 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jim R

Head-Fier
Have the designers or anyone else compared a PPA to some of the pretty nice commercial amps that one can buy for the price of the PPA parts? I can't seem to find any information on comparisons.

I like to do DIY projects just for the fun of it and am intrigued by the PPA but I already use an Earmax Pro with my HD-600's and probably wouldn't spend the money unless it was a killer amp (maybe even that would allow me to sell the EMP).

Maybe I just have to wait till a few people start building them to get some impressions.

Aug 28, 2003 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 9
My guess is that no one qualified has the PPA yet. Qualified meaning people that own or vibrantly remember how certain amps sound in contrast to the PPA.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2003 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 9
There are some in existence already -- I heard one briefly at the recent Seattle meet, but sadly not nearly long enough to give even a vaguely informed opinion of its sound. I'd want to live with one for at least two weeks before giving any sort of opinion, preferably with a high-end source and high-end cans.

Aug 28, 2003 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 9
Hi Jim. Kurt and I compared a prototype PPA to several high end solid state amps. The Meier PreHead is very close, but does not have quite as much guts and tightness in the bass with certain very demanding recordings such as Amarok by Mike Oldfield. The HeadRoom Max is also close, but I personally prefer the detail of AD8610 opamps to the somewhat relaxed OPA627 sound. The Sugden Headmaster is a significant step down, being quite bass deficient compared to the others. I have not heard a Gilmore since last winter. Hopefully someone will compare a PPA and Gilmore soon. Tubes? No thanks.

Disclaimer: I don't benefit financially from PPA purchases.

Aug 29, 2003 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 9
Hi Morsel - just wondering as to what sources you used for this assessment ; I'm no lover of Sugden gear but I'd hardly thought it bass deficient. As to valves I agree - YUCK!

Aug 29, 2003 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 9
If morsel is referring the meet at my house, one of the sources was Tyll's Meridian. I don't know what else they hooked it up to as I was too busy playing host.
frown.gif

headfi20.jpg

Aug 29, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 9
It was indeed the meet at your house, JMT. I don't recall which CD player we were using, but it was either the Linn or the Meridian. I have heard the Sugden before and am sure it is relatively gutless compared to the other amps in question. Nice case, though.

Aug 30, 2003 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 9
Jon-

I wish my desk looked like that.

It must be more than a bit frustrating to have such a wide assortment of hardware at your fingertips and still not get much time to listen.

Aug 30, 2003 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 9
Mark, you got that so right. And you can't even see all the goodies on the kitchen island and the kitchen table either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back