Has anyone actually heard the Senn HD 515s?
Sep 30, 2004 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

delenda est Sony

500+ Head-Fier
I checked the search function and found only vague mentions plus Jan Meier's brief comments...

Does anyone own these and if so how do they compare to say Grado SRs or the Sennheiser 497?

thanks,

des

Sep 30, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 15
Yes, I've tried them out a little at home a while ago.

First of all, the HD515 is almost exactly as comfortable as the HD555 and HD595. The only difference was the pads not being covered in velour. It was a fabric of some sort, it was still comfy, just not as smooth as the velour.

Otherwise, my conclusion was simple: Why bother with the HD515 when you can have the considerably better HD555 for not much more cash?
The sound is murky and dull. The bass is ok, though.

I prefer them to the HD497, much because of the comfort, but also soundwise.
When it comes to the SR60, I'm not sure as I haven't listened to those much. I think the Grados would be preferred soundwise, but the HD515 is much more comfortable. For me, anyway.

Oct 1, 2004 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 15
I was thinking the 555 might be just the 515 with some added comfort and a "spatializer" gadget stuck in for home theater use, in which case I would happily get the 515 as I do not watch movies with my headphones, and have minimal concern for comfort. (Certainly nothing can be worse than the HD280s which I use with no complaint!)

However, "murky and dull" does not generate much excitement. And as for the price difference, I was thinking I would check out the new Senn angled transducer designs if it could be done for less than $100. The cheapest I have seen the 555s is for $130 or so, so that dampens my research enthusiasm considerably. I have more than enough headphones to play with at present, and the 515s sound pretty nondescript.

Thanks for the info though Jens! You have saved me $80...
smily_headphones1.gif

des

Oct 1, 2004 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 15
Heard a pair recently.

Not very good at all. Especially for the £70 ($125) they retail for over here.

Dull and lacking detail with woolly bass.

Avoid at all costs.

Oct 1, 2004 at 1:27 PM Post #5 of 15
So the HD515 costs $80 and the HD555 $130 in the US?
Hmm...the difference isn't that much here in Norway, barely $20 I think. The HD555 is actually good value over here.

For $130 I'm not so sure...
Maybe take a look in the For Sale forum?

Oct 1, 2004 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JensL
Headroom's prices:

HD515: $99.95 (4.5 star rating)
HD555: $149.95 (5 star rating)

I don't particularly agree with the HD515 rating...

Hmm, i dont know the exact ratio of US dollars versus Euros, but when i bought my HD595 here in Finland, from local reseller, they were 168euros.
icon10.gif

Oct 1, 2004 at 4:49 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by johto
Hmm, i dont know the exact ratio of US dollars versus Euros, but when i bought my HD595 here in Finland, from local reseller, they were 168euros.
icon10.gif

Hehe...€168 = $208, so that is a good price.
In Norway, the cost about $220-$240.

It seems like the HD5x5 series are quite reasonably priced in Europe. I think they're very good value, maybe except the HD515.

Oct 1, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandhi
I don't know where you guys are getting the $130 number from. I can find the cans for much less. And they are a great value at that price.

Thanks Gandhi! That price ($103) is quite good, but the vendor (Ecost) is out of stock and has a "please call" advisory in their shipping cost section. This reminds me of Computers4Sure, an evendor with low prices and dubious reliability. Have you dealt with Ecost before?

And thanks Gundam for the confirmation of the 515s low quality. It does seem odd that Headroom gave them 4.5 stars, but then they are also inexplicably in love with the Koss UR20 which is a brutally terrible headphone that somehow wrangled 3 stars from Tyll and the lads.

regards,

des

Oct 1, 2004 at 7:57 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
Whoa..$103!

I might get this thing!

careful 450! Check em out first, especially return / exchange / refund policies. The "not in stock" and "please call" wording creates some vague stirrings of unease...

des

Oct 1, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JensL
Hehe...€168 = $208, so that is a good price.
In Norway, the cost about $220-$240.

I bought mine for about $210 + shipping. I was surprised to see that they were so cheap, I would have expected them to cost at least 2000 NOK.

Headphones appear to be one of the few kinds of electronics that don't necessarily cost much more than in the US. Now I just have to find some place that sells headphone amps.

Oct 1, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by delenda est Sony
careful 450! Check em out first, especially return / exchange / refund policies. The "not in stock" and "please call" wording creates some vague stirrings of unease...

des

[slams brakes] (or in this forum, [stops music])

What sort of 'vague stirrings of unease'?

Like they may not be able to give you the product, or like bad company?

Oct 2, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
[slams brakes] (or in this forum, [stops music])

What sort of 'vague stirrings of unease'?

Like they may not be able to give you the product, or like bad company?

Don't get TOO nervous, but some companies like Computers4Sure advertise really low prices on say the Shure E2cs, for say $12 less than anyone else. So you check their site, see 10 units in stock, place an order, get a confirmation email. All set right? Nope. Computers4Sure never had the item in stock, despite what their web site said They take your order, place a request with their supplier, and will eventually ship the phones to you if and when they get them in. This is called "bait and wait".

Now there is absolutely no reason to rationally suspect Ecost of this or any other bad practice. They might be the best evendor ever. But the extremely low price ($50 off list, $30 less than J and R) plus the not in stock sign plus the "call us" wording raises an orange flag. But feel free to call em and or research them on BizRate or some such service, or wait for someone to chime in here and give anecdotal evidence on having used this company and been happy.

Just a little bit of caution can help avoid much pain! Far worse buying other hi-fi items like speakers... Get em cheap from an internet vendor and discover the mfgr will not honor the warranty because Abe's of Maine (or whomever) is not an authorized retailer! doh!!
eek.gif
At least Sennheiser is not THAT hard-nosed...

des

Users who are viewing this thread

Back