Has anyone actually got ER6is to work properly?
Jun 22, 2011 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

CJG888

Headphoneus Supremus
After all the hype surrounding Etymotic, a couple of years ago, I bought a pair of ER6is in London. I am sure they are genuine and not fake. However, try as I might, I have been unable to achieve anything resembling an acceptable sound from them. In fact, the sound is so bass-light (even with the foam tips rammed into my ears), that it can only be described as "tinny". Like AM radio. As for the flanges, I can't tolerate them in my ears for more than about 30 seconds (and they sound no better). In fact, I prefer my old Sennheiser PXC 250s. My reference standards are Stax Lambda Basic (SR202) and Sennheiser HD600.

Am I doing something wrong, or are IEMs just not for me?

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 4
It's you. Sorry. You're doing it wrong.

You are clearly not getting a proper seal. Some people just don't like sticking thing in their ears too far and i suppose there's not a lot you can do about it, unless you can overcome that aversion. 

Why not try the over ear Audio Technica ES7? 

By the way, hype and Etymotic should not be used in the same sentence. They have proven themselves. 

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #3 of 4
leveller obviously feels very strongly about this haha.

Yes, Etymotics are time-tested and accepted. But if you don't like them, then move on to something else. Not everybody likes the Etymotic sound.

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 4
If you really want to try to make the ER6i fit well and sound good, you might try a set of Comply T100 foam tips or Shure black "Olive" foam tips.  Both fill the ear canal without having to insert them so deeply.  Once they are sealed properly, there should be a decent amount of bass response -- not bass-head level, but sufficient and in balance with mids and highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back