Has anybody tried the E17K Alpen 2 with hd800s? Could you recommend something of similar quality for hd800s as a laptop companion for hi-fi?
May 4, 2015 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

marios_mar

Headphoneus Supremus
the spec says up to 150ohms unlike the previous Alpen model. Has anyone tried them with hd800s? 

At that price range, what would you recommend as an amp/dac combo that will sound significantly better than the laptops output?

May 4, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 16
  the spec says up to 150ohms unlike the previous Alpen model. Has anyone tried them with hd800s? 

At that price range, what would you recommend as an amp/dac combo that will sound significantly better than the laptops output?

For headphones like the Sennheiser HD800, I would think you would want to at least get something like a Schiit stack (Modi/Magni) DAC/amp.
or does the audio setup need to be smaller then a Schiit stack, for easy transportation.

May 5, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 16
It needs to be battery powered for easy transportation in various different rooms. And it needs to stay in a lower budget. It is not a main amp. The original E17 seems to be able to cope with 300 ohms but I am not sure how well.

May 5, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #4 of 16
I was looking into a similar use for similar headphones, and I figure something like an O2, a JDS C5 or, depending on budget, perhaps a Cayin N5 or Vorzüge Pure II. This was just based on a search of mine, I haven't actually listened to any of these, so take with a spoon of salt.

May 7, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #10 of 16
  isn't an X3 II a DAP rather than a DAC?

it works the same as a DAC.

You have the advantage of being able to use it in the go too!

the fact is that my x5 sounds extremely good as a DAC. i am using it as a DAC in my main system, and a DAP on the go... there is no fail if you try this route, you win more features with less money.

you will still need to use e12 at least if you want fuller sound, but as a dac, it is very good.

May 9, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #14 of 16
  being battery powered is important. 

I am going to tell you that if you have the money for it, x3K from fiio does the best job. IT has the most power, and the best sound at it's price point, if you want something portable.

If not, matrix m-stage hpa2 is about the same price, but it is a desktop amp, much stronger.

if you really want portable, there is nothing portable that comes even close to x3II in my experience, except if you need it to work with a smarthpone or an iphone.

May 9, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #15 of 16
Thanks for the reply. Is the sound of the X3K same as E17K? 

Do they both have the exact same DAC and amp inside?

I don't need a DAP,  I just need a DAC. Why should I prefer the X3K? It is within budget so I am asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back