Has anybody tried the B&O Beoplay E4 noise-cancelling earbuds?
Jun 15, 2017 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
Apparently they went on sale today ($250), and it looks like a nice portable NC solution. The sound quality is what's most important though :), so that's what I'm curious about.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/6/15/15808514/beoplay-noise-cancelling-e4-earbuds

E4_hero_2.0.jpg

Aug 30, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 2
I've been auditioning them for about a week in preparation for a transatlantic flight. I have a pair of Bose QC25 over-the-ear noise-canceling headphones but I'm ready for something that takes up less room in my carry-on bag.

I passed over Bose's noise-cancelling earbuds because the last time I tried them the ANC created an uncomfortable sensation in my ears.

No such discomfort with the E4. The noise cancellation seems decent. Does a better job than Bose blocking nearby conversations. I suspect Bose does a better job muting low-frequency jet sounds.

Sound quality is quite satisfactory to my ears. I own a pair of Sennheiser HD-800S but my QC25 tend to get more head time, so take my opinion for what you will.

Things I like about the E4:
  • In contrast to Bose, deactivating noise cancellation doesn't degrade sound quality.
  • Comfort is good.
  • The cord control is more intuitive than Bose cord control
Things I don't like:
  • Bad cord microphonics unless you wrap the cord around your ear. This requires putting the buds in upside down or swapping left and right.
  • Cord is not detachable, which bodes ill for a simple down the road repair.
  • The built-in battery means having to carry an additional charging cable. It's also awkwardly placed.
  • I'd prefer white to black.
Bottom line: I would only buy these if active noise cancellation is important to you. Good, well-fitted IEMs can provide very good noise isolation without ANC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back