Has anybody tried out the housing for grados?
Aug 6, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 16
They wouldn't be tremendously improved with the SR60i. With any Grado, housing is usually pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but it does do something. It's really not worth it on an SR60i, housing will not transform it in to some new headphone.

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 16
In my experience, the part of the housing that affects the sound the most is the part the drivers are actually in (I call them cups). When I made my own aluminum one-piece housings for it, my SR60i became noticeably better than my stock SR125.

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
In my experience, the part of the housing that affects the sound the most is the part the drivers are actually in (I call them cups). When I made my own aluminum one-piece housings for it, my SR60i became noticeably better than my stock SR125.

These are full Mohagany cups. As in you put the driver inside an all mohagany cup. Does aluminum sound better then wood?

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 16
Aug 7, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 16
Sorry I didn't notice that until I watched the video. Wood and aluminum sound different. Aluminum can be harsher, but it is stiffer and less variable. Just take a look at their flagship products.

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #10 of 16
I turned them myself, sorry. If you are to go with these woodies, I would suggest upgrading a bit more, perhaps to a Magnum. Honestly you will see a much larger performance gain with a Magnum than with a simple housing change. 

As I mentioned, wood will be less harsh than aluminum. But the fact that Grado changed the series name on it's head (literally) probably means there's more going on than just housing changes.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
Where could I buy aluminum cups? Or is it just make them yourself because i have no equipment to do so. And since it is the full cup then Do you think i would hear a sound difference? I hear a lot of people dont like the 325s but RS's are a big hit.

SR325i(s) rules!
Well, SR325 users stating that headphone in their profiles are just a few less than RS1 or SR225 users if you use the search function.

I don't know who the custom cup makers are, but you could try making a wanted ad in the sale forum for Grado cups, and someone should eventually answer.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
I turned them myself, sorry. If you are to go with these woodies, I would suggest upgrading a bit more, perhaps to a Magnum. Honestly you will see a much larger performance gain with a Magnum than with a simple housing change. 

As I mentioned, wood will be less harsh than aluminum. But the fact that Grado changed the series name on it's head (literally) probably means there's more going on than just housing changes.

I've never heard of those until now. It says they are for the 325. I have the sr 60i.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #13 of 16
look for all your answers in the huge grado mod thread.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

SR325i(s) rules!
Well, SR325 users stating that headphone in their profiles are just a few less than RS1 or SR225 users if you use the search function.

I don't know who the custom cup makers are, but you could try making a wanted ad in the sale forum for Grado cups, and someone should eventually answer.

Should eventually answer.. haha. Maybe I will. I'm not planing on upgrading them for awhile so i should be good. The thing i like about the site is how easy they make it to change to woodies. It's the easiest i've ever seen it done

Users who are viewing this thread

Back