Has anybody contested apple refusing to honor their waranty?
Mar 9, 2009 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

grape ape

100+ Head-Fier
The right channel went out on my ipod after only a few months so I sent it into apple. They said that the damage was caused by accident damage or abuse. I don't believe that I handled it in any neglectful way or there was accidental damage. Has anybody tried to force apple to honor a warranty after they have tried to deny a repair? Did you have any luck?

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 13
hehe should be a defect somewhere, i dropped my ipod "twice" on the tiles at home from about 1.3 meter high desk, screen up, and still works! woot. I got the iPod Classic 80GB. Also i dropped my iPod Mini as well that still works.

Mar 10, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by grape ape /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They said that the damage was caused by accident damage or abuse.

Why? What reason did they have for saying this?

Quote:

I don't believe that I handled it in any neglectful way or there was accidental damage.

"I don't believe" sounds sort of noncommittal. Do you think you did something that caused some visible damage, which is maybe what Apple saw?

Quote:

Has anybody tried to force apple to honor a warranty after they tried to deny a repair? Did you have any luck?

If you're confident you did not do anything, I would talk to the apple rep politely and explain the situation, and if I did not get satisfaction, I'd go up the line to a supervisor, or whatever. And if that didn't work, I'd contact apple support or CS by email. I wouldn't get angry or yell until it was justified, as polite firmness is likely to be more effective. I don't think apply has any interest in denying legitimate claims, so unless there's something fishy here, maybe you caught someone on a bad day.

Good luck.
regular_smile .gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why? What reason did they have for saying this?

"I don't believe" sounds sort of noncommittal. Do you think you did something that caused some visible damage, which is maybe what Apple saw?

Good luck.
regular_smile .gif

I never dropped my ipod and it was in a vaja case since I bought it. There was no visible damage. If there was any notice able damage it could have been inside the case but I don't know how it could have happened.

Mar 10, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #8 of 13
Well then, I would call apple support and explain the situation, and tell them that they have a dissatisfied customer. (And I would throw in some statements about how you love your ipod and have always been satisfied with apple support, etc., so this recent situation is a complete shock to you.) I would tell them you didn't abuse it, and you cannot figure out what their basis is for saying otherwise. I would ask the CSR to look up your repair (I assume they can do it by serial number) and ask them to tell you what it says. I would ask them to please resolve the problem, as you do not think it is fair to have to replace your ipod when it obviously has a defect that you did not cause.

I would be surprised if a firm but polite approach didn't get some resolution.

Mar 10, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #9 of 13
damaged during transit?

Mar 10, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well then, I would call apple support and explain the situation, and tell them that they have a dissatisfied customer. (And I would throw in some statements about how you love your ipod and have always been satisfied with apple support, etc., so this recent situation is a complete shock to you.) I would tell them you didn't abuse it, and you cannot figure out what their basis is for saying otherwise. I would ask the CSR to look up your repair (I assume they can do it by serial number) and ask them to tell you what it says. I would ask them to please resolve the problem, as you do not think it is fair to have to replace your ipod when it obviously has a defect that you did not cause.

I would be surprised if a firm but polite approach didn't get some resolution.

That's a good idea. I'll call them up tomorrow and see what they have to say to that.

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 13
I had an iPod 80 gb Classic that started sounding awful (bad distortion) probably from some sort of internal circuit failure - about 3/4 of the way through its warranty.

I contacted Apple via internet and tried a couple things at their request first (reset, reformat, etc.). It was still clearly screwed up - so they had me make an appointment and take it to an Apple Store to see the 'Genius' (their name...). They did their own reset, put their own music on it, and listened with their own headphones - and reached the same (obvious) conclusion - and gave me a new iPod on the spot.

Several hours of messing around, but satisfaction in the end.

Your should get a similar response - and I would complain if you don't.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #12 of 13
It's a bit hit and miss with Apple warranties. I bought a brand new Touch, and it had a bad button. The apple store said they'd only replace it with a refurb, I sent it to Appple warranty repair, they returned it as working ok, so I took it back to Appple store, politely pointed out the faults and they gave me a new one on the spot. It depends who you get and what kinda mood they're in I guess.

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a bit hit and miss with Apple warranties. I bought a brand new Touch, and it had a bad button. The apple store said they'd only replace it with a refurb, I sent it to Appple warranty repair, they returned it as working ok, so I took it back to Appple store, politely pointed out the faults and they gave me a new one on the spot. It depends who you get and what kinda mood they're in I guess.

That's good news. I unfortunately don't live anywhere near an apple store but I'll give them a call once my UPS delivers my ipod. I really hope I can get it fixed since I can't afford to replace it right now. I also looked up a video on manually replacing the headphone jack but I don't want to do that unless it's a last resort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back