Has anybody compared the Auditor, BCL, V100 / V200 or Apex Butte with HD600 / HD650 as headphones ?
Nov 25, 2011 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MayaTlab

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm currently powering my HD650 with a TTVJ Slim as a temporary solution and looking for a better amp to power it. In, addition, I'm also looking, maybe, for a DAC and all that within 1000 euros if possible.

I've read conflicting things about pairing the Violectric amps or the Auditor with the HD600 / HD650. Has anybody tried those headphones (not the HD800 as it seems to be a different animal amping-wise) with those amps ? What were your impressions ? Any comparison with the BCL, or Apex Butte ?
I could simply buy one of them from Thomann and exchange / return it in case I'm not satisfied, but I certainly cannot buy two of them at the same time to return one later on.

Why those amps ? I'm looking for SS amps only, and from reliable, well-known manufacturers / designers. If you have any other ideas, please tell me. But I'm quite picky about what I see on a manufacture's website. As an example :
- I'lm very skeptical about the Burson HA160 despite it being mentioned as a good pairing with the HD650. Why ? First, Burson has changed several times the advertised specs - which doesn't seem much serious to me. Also, I'm skeptical about the virtues of a stepped atenuator on a 600 euros amp while some other amps with regular ALPS pots are also described as very detailed / articulated (example : the Butte). That seems like marketing BS to me.
- idem with SPL special op-amps reaching 120V peak to peak - not sure it's any more useful than regular op-amps for headphones (which will rarely use more than a few volts peak to peak). Also, SPL doesn't specify output impedance (but somehow I read somewhere it was 9 ohms).
- I'm very pleased when I see a thorough and detailed specification page à la Violectric, with clear power indications @ specific impedance, for example. It just feels professional (if the specs are right, which is another matter). 
- I don't care about the internals as long as it seems it's roughly based on sensible ideas according to knowledgeable people. Example : I won't say that the fact the V100 uses "cheap" op-amps is boooooooo, as long as it's well implemented. I won't also say that SPL's fancy op-amps are bad, just that it seems the marketing around it is overblown.
- Another example of the stuff that makes me suspicious about amp design and marketing BS : while SPL clearly says that adding a relay in their circuit deteriorates SQ, Violectric says the exact contrary. Which one to believe ? Or is it because the different design topology has a different consequence on adding a relay or not ? In doubt I take the middle ground line : yes, it may have a small effect on SQ, but it's inconsequential in comparison to other design choices.
To conclude this paragraph : if an amp tends to satisfy both the so-called "subjectivist" camp and the "objectivist" one, then I'm getting even more interested by it.

It will only be using with the HD650, as I have no plans to upgrade (don't want to fall in the summit-fi wallet trap, even though I can clearly hear differences with lesser setups - it's just that I have other hobbies, so I'm looking for a good-enough setup). So it doesn't matter if the amp is reported as having a less than stellar performance with lower impedance headphones (I read that about the SPL - and it seems it was designed anyway for higher impedance headphones).

Many thanks if your have an opinion on the matter !

PS : As I'm looking for a new DAC a DAC + Amp combo is fine as well.

Nov 27, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 4
The Burson and the Violectrics do very well with the HD650. Have you looked at a Matrix Mstage?
You should support the europen economy and get a violectric :wink:

Bonne chance!

Dec 1, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
The Burson and the Violectrics do very well with the HD650. Have you looked at a Matrix Mstage?
You should support the europen economy and get a violectric :wink:

Bonne chance!

Thanks for the suggestion. Is it really that good ? Because the price is very low (and I don't believe in miracles in audio). I read it's a copy of the BCL. Is that true ?

I don't particularly care for supporting the european economy if it means not buying something better suited to the HD650 from elsewhere. I'd rather care for buying something from a serious company, from wherever that is. Most of the amps I'm leaning toward actually come from Europe anyway (Auditor, Violectric amps, BCL).

Has anybody else directly compared the amps in the OP or a few of them with the HD600 / HD650 ?

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #4 of 4
For amping the HD650, the best cheapest amps I've heard are the DIY-type (and time-tested) Dynalo and M3. I've heard both amps with low- and high-impedance headphones and they can easily drive either type, though the Dynalo is more adept at low-impedance types and the M3 more adept at high-impedance types in my experience. Though the HD650/Dynalo is still a good cost-effective pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back