Has a iPod Shuffle failed on you?
Aug 8, 2006 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Sparky191

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm curious how many people have had Shuffles which have stopped working. From reading up on the web the most common error seems to be they get difficult to mount and then eventually stop working altogether, though the computer can still see them. I've seen 2 do this now.

Aug 8, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 15
Mine mysteriously freezes up from time to time, probably three or four times in a year and a half. It just stops responding to any buttons for a few minutes, but never anything permanent.

Aug 8, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 15
my Shuffle skips! Music files that are fine on the computer or my 4G photo skip on my Shuffle. The music goes directly from one point in a song to a later point (a second or less leap). It is reproduceable (same point in the file) and drives me nuts. I suppose the $30 for Apple to repair my 1 gig Shuffle is the way to go.

EDIT: It was not the Shuffle's fault. The skipping was due to an overtaxed cpu upgrade card. Trying to do too much with too few resources. (sounds familiar)

Aug 9, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 15
mine freezes (or rather stops making sounds and acts like it's working fine by the lights) if i leave it on pause for more than a few minutes, i had to format it with the mac tool twice before it worked again once, but for the most part i haven't had problems with it, then again i've only had it for 4-5 months

Aug 9, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 15
Mine has also failed...

It was working fine, playing my tunes, the I had to recharge it and tryed to change some musics but the computer no longer recognized the ipod...

Neither restoring nor updating, not eden formating the ipod with windows and then trying to restore the ipod, worked, so I have sent it to service under warranty.

Two month's have gone by and I'm still withou the shuffle..

I have a nano and an iriver imp550 so, not SO much harm done.

Aug 9, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 15
My girlfriend's (that I bought for her) failed soon after purchase. Most of the time you can just take it back to the store and grab a new one for nothing (or $6 or $7 dollars).

Her's had the constant blinking probem. I forget the exact issue, but I know that it involved a blinking light.

Aug 9, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacsantos
I have sent it to service under warranty.

Two month's have gone by and I'm still withou the shuffle..

where did you send it? i have read reports on ilounge of people requesting service on their shuffle's and apple sends them a new (maybe refurbished) shuffle in a box. you take the new one out, put your broken one in, and mail it back.

that said, i haven't had any problems with mine. anyone with problems should try the things jacsantos suggested. i have brought back one shuffle from what the owner considered certain death by simply restoring it. i'm certainly not saying it will fix everything (as it obviously won't - there are defective products from all producers) i just think some people claim its dead very quickly.

Aug 9, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #9 of 15
Mine regularly does a "cannot read from or write to" error. Somehow, each time, through various actions of formatting, updating, plugging and unplugging, I get it to work. I have no idea what the problem is, but I haven't bothered to return it, since I have a sinking feeling the replacement will do the same thing. It had problems from day one, and I think there must be some semi-incompatibility with certain computers. It bugs me enough that I will never buy another iPod (since, to me, the whole point of iPods is their ease of use - my 4G has been great the whole time I've had it), and I'm looking for a replacement device. Maybe one of the new Sonys; I like their sound and there is some development going on with non-Sonic Stage file transfer for MP3:
http://www.atraclife.com/forums/inde...showtopic=2075

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #10 of 15
I have had good luck with my Shuffle that I purchased online as a refurb from Apple. Mine has even been intentionally sunk in the sea many times in an Otterbox case and still works as good as new.

Happy Listening!
gs1000.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22
...i have brought back one shuffle from what the owner considered certain death by simply restoring it. i'm certainly not saying it will fix everything (as it obviously won't - there are defective products from all producers) i just think some people claim its dead very quickly.

Its meant to be a simple player. While I have no problem doing the reset and update dance that apple suggest, it didn't work for me. But I'm sure it would beyond anyone non technical. I tried a whole load of stuff from the various forums too. But eventually it just died. Won't connect and gets the green/orange blinking going on.

I'm curious though, in a thread about dead shuffles, why are posting that yours are still working?
biggrin.gif
Are you trying to make use feel WORSE?
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back