Harry Potter Book 7 Discussion, SPOILERS ALERT
Jul 22, 2007 at 7:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=xx-large]SPOILERS ALERT[/size]

Do Not Continue Reading this thread if you haven't read Harry Potter book 7

My purpose to made this thread so we, who like Harry Potter & have read book 7 (last book) can have a place to discuss about this book. There should be some head-fiers who have finished this book. If you have never read Harry Potter and have the need to bash J.K Rowling, please made your own thread.

Jul 22, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 64
As I have said previously in other thread. IMHO the best HP book is HP 4 'Goblets of fire' and if I have to put them in order
HP4
HP3
HP1
HP2
HP5 & 6 -- Both equally disappointing

The last book, book 7, IMHO is very good. IMHO JK Rowling has been doing a very good job ending HP story. I still like book 4 though so I can say it's between book 4 & 3. My only regrets, I don't think she should have killed both lupin & tonks. IMHO, Lupin is dead however I don't see the need to kill Tonks. It's also a drag to read several chapters when they've been going in circles knowing nothing yet the plot goes very fast after Malfoy's manor chapter.
Book 7 is very good and for me it has saved the whole Harry Potter series which, IMHO has gone down hill from Book 4. Previously, after reading book 5 & 6 I came more & more dissapointed on HP series but book 7 has made me acknowledged it as a great story once more.

Jul 22, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 64
Aside from some minor slowdowns in middle, and the noninclusion of Luna in the epilogue (such a cool character should have been included!) I have no complaints; I enjoyed the book thoroughly, I literally couldn't put it down.

The most intense part of the book for me was the part where Aberforth is discussing what really happened with Ariana. I'll admit, reading what happened to the poor girl and what she went through was very emotional for me; my eyes actually watered a little.

redface.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 64
i haven't read any of the books, but i am a big fan of the movies. what happens at the end of this book. i hear the trio survives. and snape is killed by voldemort. that snape is a good guy and loved harry's mother. that harry finishes off voldemort with some spell. which one. what about dumbledore. does he make some sort of reappearance. what is his dark past. and people have been complaining about the epilogue. thoughts on that.

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #5 of 64
I thought it was pretty good at parts, but at other parts not so good. The huge battle at the end was kind of too lotr for me and the final showdown was sort of a let down. Yeah I really wanted to find out what happened to Luna too.

Jul 22, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrispy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The battle of hogwarts will be a pretty epic piece of film if done well.

Unless you can get Peter Jackson to direct it, I'll bet it will be a huge disappointment. But then again, I always disappointed by the movie.

Jul 23, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #8 of 64
I really enjoyed book 7. I am also kinda sad to see it go. I've basically been the same age as Harry, Ron, and Hermione the entire series. Before this book, I really didn't care for the series too much, but something just kinda gelled this time, I don't know what it is, but I wish it wasn't over.

Quick question: Did Harry's kids not know that he was famous, just like Harry didn't know he was famous at first or what?

-A

Jul 23, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #10 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTRacer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dobby's death was somehow the saddest. Snape's back story also made me a little sad. Overall I thought it's a good book but I felt it wasn't paced well enough.

The parts where they were in the tent seemed to drag a bit. Also, I agree about Dobby.

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #11 of 64
After 2nd time quick reading,

Snape seems to be a complex character. He's a good guy, growing in a broken home family, getting a bad influence (Slytherin), and having a strong goal to prove himself gets him to Voldemort side. He is torn between his love to Lily potter and his ambition. He choose his love and still love Lily until the end. It was very sad when he died and told Potter, "Look at me". Harry got his mother's eyes.

JK Rowling needs to play world of Warcraft so she can describe a wizard/witch battle. Her battle description is awful. It seems that every wizard, as long as they know the words, they can cast any spell. Other thing, as long as you're good at dodging, you won't die. Hogwart's battle looks more like a brawl instead of high caliber battle between wizards. There should be a way to differentiate each wizard capability. ex: Lupin got some werewolf influence spell, etc. It's strange how Mrs. Wesley can win against Bellatrix considering Bellatrix supposed to have more experience, cunning & cruel. If Rowling introduced the concept of specialized wizard capability, there can be a good explanation how Mrs. Wesley can win, ex: Bellatrix's spell element doesn't match good against Mrs Wesley's.

As I mention in previous post, I don't see why Nymphadora Tonks should die. It seems unnecessary but Rowling seems have a tendency of making orphans out of only born child, ex: Harry Potter, Neville Longbottom.

It's strange when Voldemort has announced cease fire and told everyone that he's expecting Harry Potter alone in Forbidden Forest, No one pay attention to Potter. I can understand the Wesley's family won't pay attention to Potter because of Fred's death however I'm expecting either Minerva McGonagall or Hermione to pay close attention to Potter or at least tried to find him around the way to Forbidden forest.

Last thing, It seems to me JK Rowling first intended Harry Potter to die when he was struck by Voldemort on Forbidden Forest. I don't see any reason Harry Potter should live. The end of Battle can be done without Harry Potter. The centaurs are getting involved because of Harry Potter's death. Voldemort's Spells are no longer binding because of Harry's sacrifice. If Neville can break his spell, I don't think it's difficult for Minerva or Kingsley Shacklebolt to finish Voldemort. The elder wand should be a non factor because of Harry's sacrifice. It's also strange when the Elder wand able to struck Harry in Forbidden Forest however it bounced out in final battle killing Voldemort. It seems to me JK Rowling, after being pressured by Editor and afraid of fans reception on Harry Potter's death, decide to be safe by making this ending. I prefer Harry Potter to die, it will be a sad ending however it will make a better story overall.

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #12 of 64
I really enjoyed the book, but overall I think Half-Blood Prince was the best of the series.

The best part IMO was the end when Harry went into Snape's memories, explaining the reason why Dumbledore would always trust Snape, because of Lily's love. I think especially since Snape's patronus changed, which according to Rowling, can't lie a person's true intent.

The part about Harry's blood protecting him from Voldemort wasn't very well explained though.

Oh, yeah, that raw, suffering child in the King's Cross scene, that was Voldemort
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #13 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JK Rowling needs to play world of Warcraft so she can describe a wizard/witch battle. Her battle description is awful. It seems that every wizard, as long as they know the words, they can cast any spell. Other thing, as long as you're good at dodging, you won't die. Hogwart's battle looks more like a brawl instead of high caliber battle between wizards. There should be a way to differentiate each wizard capability. ex: Lupin got some werewolf influence spell, etc. It's strange how Mrs. Wesley can win against Bellatrix considering Bellatrix supposed to have more experience, cunning & cruel. If Rowling introduced the concept of specialized wizard capability, there can be a good explanation how Mrs. Wesley can win, ex: Bellatrix's spell element doesn't match good against Mrs Wesley's.

Disagree. Mrs Weasely won because she was fighting the good fight. The intent of magic has always had a direct effect of on it's power within the Potter universe, and as such that's why she beat Bellatrix.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last thing, It seems to me JK Rowling first intended Harry Potter to die when he was struck by Voldemort on Forbidden Forest. I don't see any reason Harry Potter should live. The end of Battle can be done without Harry Potter. The centaurs are getting involved because of Harry Potter's death. Voldemort's Spells are no longer binding because of Harry's sacrifice. If Neville can break his spell, I don't think it's difficult for Minerva or Kingsley Shacklebolt to finish Voldemort. The elder wand should be a non factor because of Harry's sacrifice. It's also strange when the Elder wand able to struck Harry in Forbidden Forest however it bounced out in final battle killing Voldemort. It seems to me JK Rowling, after being pressured by Editor and afraid of fans reception on Harry Potter's death, decide to be safe by making this ending. I prefer Harry Potter to die, it will be a sad ending however it will make a better story overall.

The way it was done was clearly a compromise. It was obvious Harry had to die at some point, but it was also fairly obvious that they couldn't really finish a series like this with a sad ending. Aim it at adults, and of course you can have mutually assured distruction for the greater good, but it wouldn't have worked for the vast majority of fans.

Jul 23, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #14 of 64
Kingsley or Shackbolt couldn't have killed Voldemort, how anti-climactic would that have been? Harry had to kill him for revenge or vengeance or whatever, the only other person that I could have seen killing him and it would have been a good ending would be Ginny. Also, with Bellatrix vs Mrs. Weasley, it was never really told or described in the books how powerful Mrs Weasley was with magic, so that is part of the reason why they were so even I believe. Snape is probably the best written character in the whole series, the whole time you want him dead and wonder why Dumbledore trusted him, also it was good that Rowling finally showed Dumbledore having flaws, but what I don't understand is that if he was so desperate for the hallows in his youth, when he had the wand and the stone, why didn't he ask Harry for his cloak at Hogwarts, with how it was described it seems as if Dumbledore would not have been able to resist the temptation of having all 3 at once and becoming the master of death (I believe this is why Harry could come back btw, because he was the master of death, not really having to do with him being in Voldemort.) Lastly, the death of Voldemort was weak. Rather than having his own curse rebound back at him I really thought Harry should have had to kill him with the killing curse. Does the killing curse sound like Abra Kadabra to anyone else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back