HarmonicDyne Zeus
May 23, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #106 of 159
I greatly enjoyed the Helios... so much that I purchased a second and third set at reduced cost on eBay to have multiple sets in different locations. After seeing DMS's rave review of the Zeus, I figured I'd give these a try; he rarely ever likes anything to the same extent that Zeos does... so this convergence gave me hope.
After leaving it on a burn-in rig for about 25 hours I've given it some extensive head time A-Bing it with the Helios. And yes, these are a big step up IMO. Not as treble heavy as the Helios, and the midrange and midbass have more detail and substance, more texture than the Helios. Less shouty and more well rounded IMO. Also the soundstage feels wider than the Helios.
Well worth the 2x cost upgrade compared to the Helios.
Still waiting for Gold Planar GL 1200 to ship from Drop... that will be an interesting comparison.
The Zeus is a good set of Headphones.
Super comfy, non-fatiguing.

Jun 17, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #107 of 159
I am hoping that I'm on a roll with the videos, as it is time for my full video review about the Zeus from HarmonicDyne and Linsoul Audio!!

This is a Dynamic headphone with a really solid performance, great comfort, and a nice design, but also good overall relibality. The sound is a bit warm, but detailed, clean, and at the price point it is solid competition for Sundara and other cans. In fact, I was even more enthusiastic in my full written review, so the video review should compliment that well, with more info, and feelings that came to me while filming :)

Can't beat originality while talking or camera shyness really XD

Jun 19, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #108 of 159
After reading the thread I am convinced that the Zeus will be my next acquisition, but I have some doubts, I don't know if you could help me: How long does the original Zeus cable measure? Will I be able to find a 4.4 balanced cable of about 3 meters. ?? I have a Fiio Q5 S TC with 225 mW for the SE output and 510 mW for the balanced output, will that be enough to drive them decently ??.

Jun 19, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #109 of 159
After reading the thread I am convinced that the Zeus will be my next acquisition, but I have some doubts, I don't know if you could help me: How long does the original Zeus cable measure? Will I be able to find a 4.4 balanced cable of about 3 meters. ?? I have a Fiio Q5 S TC with 225 mW for the SE output and 510 mW for the balanced output, will that be enough to drive them decently ??.

You should be able to drive it decently from the SE too, but Balanced would bring more volume and generally better control in the case of Q5S TC.

About the cable, there are many cable makers that would be happy to make one for you, not sure if you can find a standardized one, but folks like Ares Audio may be able to help: https://aresaudiosg.com/

Jun 19, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #110 of 159
Just do a search on eBay for "harmonicdyne zeus". There's any number of cables of different lengths and connectors out there, even before you go down the road of having custom cables made.

Jun 27, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #111 of 159
Aug 3, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #113 of 159
I've learned that these are extremely amp picky - plug them into different amps and they will sound totally different on each one! (on some they can be harsh / too much treble)

But once you find the perfect pairing, these are some of the best headphones I've ever heard, in my opinion of course :)

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #114 of 159
I've learned that these are extremely amp picky - plug them into different amps and they will sound totally different on each one! (on some they can be harsh / too much treble)

But once you find the perfect pairing, these are some of the best headphones I've ever heard, in my opinion of course :)
Will they play nicely with a JDS Atom stack?
  • Max Continuous Power @ 600Ω 136mW (9.05VRMS)
  • Max Continuous Power @ 150Ω 545 mW (9.04VRMS)
  • Max Continuous Power @ 32Ω 1 Watt (5.66 VRMS)

Oct 17, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #116 of 159
I have no idea, I've never tried it

I'm not gonna speculate :)

I will say however that I recommend you find a cheap used class a amp for sale and start with that

Feb 11, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #119 of 159
HDZ Mini Review.. 1-04-2021

There is a lot of : Buzz out there, regarding this Gear.

"should i buy it"... "what sbout that restocking charge and that shipping back to China"....."how long does it take to get them"..."i wonder what the resale will be, if i hate them"..

and on and on....

Listen, live your life while you can, and get all the Gear you want.
Dont sweat the small stuff.
-----------------------------------------------------
-

FYI : Im listening to them within seconds of the unboxing.....so, as they burn in, they will change.

Now, as some of you know, Zeos and DMS love these headphones. As a matter of fact, DMS just created a "$1000 and below" overall best sounding Tier list, and he has these positioned in an impressive position.
I was pleased to note that he listed the Focal Elex as the first place position "real" headphone", right under a Electrostat.
So, there may be hope for DMS yet, if he has understood that the ELEX by Focal, is their best sounding affordable headphone. ( I dont consider $3000 to be affordable regarding the average human being.
So, both DMS and Zeos, love the HDZeus

So do i.

I felt love almost instantly, even before i heard them, as they arrived within this fantastic black plastic case, that should make Audeze embarrassed to make you pay $900 for their GX to get it.... and much more for the LCD-X, that isn't a "creator" package.
This case isnt as substantial a case as the one that ZMF offers, or the one provided by Audeze, but for $350 shipped in 3 days to your front door from China, using DHL, ..this is an awesome upgrade.
ITs nice for the price.
Believe it.

So, i notced that the one cable supplied is balanced but it offers the correct adaptors if case you dont do balanced.
---------------------

So, what sbout their sound?
Ready?

This is a set of headphones that that tries to get out of the way of the music.
Some headphones force music on you, they make music happen, whereas this Gear lets the music rule.
Its a special Gear that is designed by someone who understands how to make a Gear sound musical, as its #1 priority.
This Gear is not chasing micro detail, nor is it trying to clone the sound of another popular Gear....its instead just trying to sound musical.
A.) Success

Let me put it another way....if you are a beginning audiophile, and it was '2020, i would have told you to buy a Sennheiser or the Sundara.
Well, this gear has changed that POV, as this is the one you want if you are looking for just SQ and affordability, and you are not needing a bass canon or microscopes for your ears.

1.) Treble : Extension is good. Its not thin. Its not sibilant, and its balanced within the overall FR. Its excellent.
These are not hyper treble phones, and i'll get into that more when we get to the midrange section of this mini review.

2.) Bass : Its more rich than hyper detailed tho it is quite detailed. Its natural and textured and extended. IT does go low enough, and it does not attempt to steal the spotlight.

3.) Midrange.: This is the honey pot. This is the end of the rainbow regarding this Gear. This is a mids dominated sonic treat. This is what you want in your Arya, and your HD800, but you didnt get it, and those are fine products. But THIS is a : "sounds like a British company made it"....Its almost too harmonically complex, actually.
Like a "class A" headphone sound... = Its lush, its sweet, its pretty, its wide, and its why Zeos and DMS love this Gear.
Its presentation is relaxed, neutral, full, musical, and sweet. Totally the opposite of a Planar midrange. There is nothing stark or dark to be found within the HDZ's liquid midrange yummy.
It IS the sound of the headphones., Its why they exist. And the other frequencies simply support it very well.

4.) Timbre : As natural as can be if you enjoy fine midrange.

5.) Comfort : Extremely comfortable headphones. Would be moreso but the strap is metal and the cups are dense wood which all adds up to a touch of weight.

6.) Cable : Its nice, with just a slight bit of jank, but this will resolve itself, as the cable is cloth.

7.) Easy to Drive.: Yes

8.) Soundstage : Wide with good depth.

9.) Value for the Money : The gear is a hands down amazing sonics value.
There is some magical midrange voodoo going on inside these headphones.

@ Final Analysis : Who will the HD Zeus please ? : Anyone who likes a warmer tonality , a sweet sound, and enough detail retrieval to be able to see into the music.
(all real Audiophiles).

So, here are the photos., and one more thing. Someone "out there" said this Gear is a '"V" shape. And that is absolutely not a fact... That is a fiction.

Happy Listening...

FB1
-
DSC09552.JPG
-
DSC09553.JPG
-
DSC09554.JPG
-
DSC09559.JPG
They definitely sound like something to put on my list. Thanks for the detailed review!

Mar 27, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #120 of 159
I run them off a Topping D10 > JDSLabs Atom and I’m in love with them. YMMV.

Low gain about 11o’clock is loud, and to my ears, I have no sense they’re being underpowered.

I am very interested in whether ZMF Aeolus is similar and a significant upgrade…

I love almost everything the Zeus does but on some tracks I want cleaner, more defined bass and better extension and a less congested soundstage.

Maaaybe those things improve on a better amp? Maybe I need a ZMF?

I love my Zeus so much but I gotta have goals haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back