HarmonicDyne Zeus
Jan 4, 2021 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 160

FullBright1

Headphoneus Supremus
HDZ Mini Review.. 1-04-2021

There is a lot of : Buzz out there, regarding this Gear.

"should i buy it"... "what sbout that restocking charge and that shipping back to China"....."how long does it take to get them"..."i wonder what the resale will be, if i hate them"..

and on and on....

Listen, live your life while you can, and get all the Gear you want.
Dont sweat the small stuff.
-----------------------------------------------------
-

FYI : Im listening to them within seconds of the unboxing.....so, as they burn in, they will change.

Now, as some of you know, Zeos and DMS love these headphones. As a matter of fact, DMS just created a "$1000 and below" overall best sounding Tier list, and he has these positioned in an impressive position.
I was pleased to note that he listed the Focal Elex as the first place position "real" headphone", right under a Electrostat.
So, there may be hope for DMS yet, if he has understood that the ELEX by Focal, is their best sounding affordable headphone. ( I dont consider $3000 to be affordable regarding the average human being.
So, both DMS and Zeos, love the HDZeus

So do i.

I felt love almost instantly, even before i heard them, as they arrived within this fantastic black plastic case, that should make Audeze embarrassed to make you pay $900 for their GX to get it.... and much more for the LCD-X, that isn't a "creator" package.
This case isnt as substantial a case as the one that ZMF offers, or the one provided by Audeze, but for $350 shipped in 3 days to your front door from China, using DHL, ..this is an awesome upgrade.
ITs nice for the price.
Believe it.

So, i notced that the one cable supplied is balanced but it offers the correct adaptors if case you dont do balanced.
---------------------

So, what sbout their sound?
Ready?

This is a set of headphones that that tries to get out of the way of the music.
Some headphones force music on you, they make music happen, whereas this Gear lets the music rule.
Its a special Gear that is designed by someone who understands how to make a Gear sound musical, as its #1 priority.
This Gear is not chasing micro detail, nor is it trying to clone the sound of another popular Gear....its instead just trying to sound musical.
A.) Success

Let me put it another way....if you are a beginning audiophile, and it was '2020, i would have told you to buy a Sennheiser or the Sundara.
Well, this gear has changed that POV, as this is the one you want if you are looking for just SQ and affordability, and you are not needing a bass canon or microscopes for your ears.

1.) Treble : Extension is good. Its not thin. Its not sibilant, and its balanced within the overall FR. Its excellent.
These are not hyper treble phones, and i'll get into that more when we get to the midrange section of this mini review.

2.) Bass : Its more rich than hyper detailed tho it is quite detailed. Its natural and textured and extended. IT does go low enough, and it does not attempt to steal the spotlight.

3.) Midrange.: This is the honey pot. This is the end of the rainbow regarding this Gear. This is a mids dominated sonic treat. This is what you want in your Arya, and your HD800, but you didnt get it, and those are fine products. But THIS is a : "sounds like a British company made it"....Its almost too harmonically complex, actually.
Like a "class A" headphone sound... = Its lush, its sweet, its pretty, its wide, and its why Zeos and DMS love this Gear.
Its presentation is relaxed, neutral, full, musical, and sweet. Totally the opposite of a Planar midrange. There is nothing stark or dark to be found within the HDZ's liquid midrange yummy.
It IS the sound of the headphones., Its why they exist. And the other frequencies simply support it very well.

4.) Timbre : As natural as can be if you enjoy fine midrange.

5.) Comfort : Extremely comfortable headphones. Would be moreso but the strap is metal and the cups are dense wood which all adds up to a touch of weight.

6.) Cable : Its nice, with just a slight bit of jank, but this will resolve itself, as the cable is cloth.

7.) Easy to Drive.: Yes

8.) Soundstage : Wide with good depth.

9.) Value for the Money : The gear is a hands down amazing sonics value.
There is some magical midrange voodoo going on inside these headphones.

@ Final Analysis : Who will the HD Zeus please ? : Anyone who likes a warmer tonality , a sweet sound, and enough detail retrieval to be able to see into the music.
(all real Audiophiles).

So, here are the photos., and one more thing. Someone "out there" said this Gear is a '"V" shape. And that is absolutely not a fact... That is a fiction.

Happy Listening...

FB1
-
DSC09552.JPG

-
DSC09553.JPG

-
DSC09554.JPG

-
DSC09559.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 160
Very tempting, but I think I'll pass on these. I won't buy another pair for a very long time.
I find it funny though that DMS loves these headphones but hates the Fidelio X3s, while you like both. It just shows that for the biggest part it is all subjective.

Jan 4, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 160
Thanks for the review, I am after new headphones mainly for gaming and a little music and these do sound like contenders. Currently use Philips X1s and these sound like a good upgrade.

Have to say I like the look of them except the headband the wood and plastic do not look very premium. Also the size of the case seems mad, considering they are being dispatched worldwide from China. Would have preferred a small travel case, something like Focal supply.

Jan 5, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #4 of 160
Very tempting, but I think I'll pass on these. I won't buy another pair for a very long time.
I find it funny though that DMS loves these headphones but hates the Fidelio X3s, while you like both. It just shows that for the biggest part it is all subjective.

I appreciate that you have found the headphones that satisfy your soul.
As for me, im all about the next one..
For example, this week, i have these coming in..

1. Alpha Prime
2. Master & Dynamic MW65 ( Lamborghini)
3. SONOROUS VI
4. Montblanc OB1
------------------------

Well, the ZEUS are a very good value, for a few reasons......build, the Case, and the sound...:)

And DMS, well, He is sometimes difficult to read, because he'll not like a headphone's sound in the original review, then list it near the top of his Tier List..

And the reason he hated the X3, is because he isn't able to rate the Gear based on its own sonic value.
He instead made the "newbie" mistake of comparing it to the previous generation, so, this is a prejudicial mistake that a real reviewer of Gear, should never be found committing.

See, every Gear is its own universe, its own "thing", its own "sound", so, a real reviewer (me) will review it based on its' own voice, and not based on "does it sound like the last one".
After all, if it sounds like the last version, then why create it at all .....

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 160
Just unboxed my Zeus and I'm instantly in love. These things are amazing right out of the box, they almost remind me a little of my TH900 Mk2

Little higher clamping force but extremely comfy earpads, they kind of feel like my Sony XM3 when wearing them

Looking forward to breaking them in and swapping between amps

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #6 of 160
Just unboxed my Zeus and I'm instantly in love. These things are amazing right out of the box, they almost remind me a little of my TH900 Mk2
Little higher clamping force but extremely comfy earpads, they kind of feel like my Sony XM3 when wearing themLooking forward to breaking them in and swapping between amps
-

There comes a $$$$$$$$$$ point where nothing is really better better better...., but instead, it all just sounds different, regarding Headphones.

For example, "more micro detail", ....or. "more resolution"......... or...."Its not just wide, but its a DEEP soundstage".......or..... "its virgin lambskin">......... and all this stuff becomes like an add on feature that keeps drawing you away from the main thing......and that is not a good thing.
See, the main thing isn't if you can mod them with 50 sets of pads...., or if you can insert pad them......or if you can add a $300 cable..... The main thing is ......put them on, and 5 hrs later, you realize it.
= All about the SOUND INTOXICATION LEVEL. = Main Thing.

So, these HD@Zeus sound very good, and they are not expensive, and the case is cool.
Thats a triple win.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 160
indeed, I fully agree

After buying an LCD-4 from here and realizing I liked it less than my LCD-2 Closed Backs, I sold it and decided to just buy lots of cheaper headphones for a while so I can experience "all the things". It's turning out to be fun!

Jan 5, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 160
indeed, I fully agree
After buying an LCD-4 from here and realizing I liked it less than my LCD-2 Closed Backs, I sold it and decided to just buy lots of cheaper headphones for a while so I can experience "all the things". It's turning out to be fun!

The problem is....... you can't pay enough to ensure that a sound Gear wont sound horrible.... to your ears.

One of the ways we try to insure against this, is to read and study reviews.
Eventually you connect with someone.... online/youtube... who sort of "likes what you like to hear", and then this becomes very helpful as you continue to accumulate more product, always hoping for the best.

Enjoy your gear....:)

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #10 of 160
One of the headphones I am interested in, but I don't want to deal with shipping back to oversees in case I get a lemon.
There isn't any place to try or return easily from Canada.

Jan 7, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #11 of 160
the more I use them, I'm starting to wonder if perhaps I like them so much because they remind me of my HFI-580's, just *way* more comfortable... I'm honestly not good at reviewing headphones though so I'll just say I've been using them exclusively for several days now and still love them

Jan 10, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #14 of 160
I also got the Zeus as they looked promising from DMS's review and Zeos's sound demo. Must say I hoped for more.

Comfort: The pads are indeed very nice but the clamping force is extremely high and uncomfortable for me. You could possibly stretch them but out of the box very strong clamping force. The pads are deep but not deep enough like most headphones in my opinion. You will touch the inside slightly, there won't be pressure on your ears but you will still touch it. It could possibly be deep enough if you remove the mesh from the pads but then the driver is exposed and hair will get in more easily.

Build quality: It's pretty good actually. I like it over most headphones and I don't think it would break over time. The adjustment hinch does feel like it could break, but only if you bend the headphones to the inside and you never do that so it is fine there. The pattern on the outside though feels slightly sharp when you move your fingers over it, could be a problem but I think it's fine. In general though it feels pretty good and I like it.

Sound: This is a bit controversial and I am very critical here. This will probably look like a negative review but this is the case for most headphones I try :p

Bass: It does reach pretty deep and has a good amount of impact. Like on most open headphones though sub bass sounds kind of missing. You hear it but it won't feel like it should and is missing it's warmth. Bass speed and punch is average. Probably on par with Audioquest Nighthawk. It isn't tactile like DMS said and sounds more slow than fast.
Mids: The lower mids/upper bass seems to be boosted and sounds a bit draining on some songs, so I would recommend a bit of EQ there, otherwise I found it annyoing. When EQ'd though I like the mids, they seem fairly smooth and present. Maybe slightly recessed, it depends on the song, some voices are a bit more in the background than they should while others are fine.
Treble: Treble is very smooth. It never sounds harsh but maybe a bit lacking. Especially above 10khz treble seems missing. Here again I also just boosted 4khz and everything after 12khz by a bit. After that I really liked the sound. This is probably the least EQ I ever did (except HD580 where I didn't EQ at all) on my headphones. So the signature is really good just maybe a bit lacking in treble and problems in lower mids if no EQ is used. If you are sensitive to treble then these are good.

Detail: At first I thought the detail is nothing special in comparison to the Nighthawks or any of my headphones, probably because the bass texture was similar and that confused me. But they are indeed pretty good. Not as good as a HD580 but very close. This is the only real comparison I have detail wise. In general though you can expect to get a good amount of detail here.

Soundstage: Soundstage is good. It is less than my K702 but not by too much. It is fairly deep and wide. I don't think anyone would dislike it for that reason. It is nothing special though. I don't get a "Concert Hall" like feeling, it is simply good.

Imaging: It is pretty decent. You can pinpoint where sounds are coming from pretty good. It is not like lazer sharp though. I still think it is slightly blurry but it has some realistic tone to it which I like. It makes surround sound filters work incredibly good and makes some sounds feel like they are actually far away.

Timbre: I feel like timbre is also very close to that of the HD580. Decay is fast and notes die down quickly. Drums sound realistic. Strings though not as much. They are very clean sounding but they miss their natural decay. This makes them sound a bit lifeless. In general I feel like this is more of my personal preference and many people prefer it that way. I would still have loved to get a more natural and longer decay.

Genre pairing: I think any genre is fine with these, though for Rock and Metal the bass is maybe a bit too sloppy and bass hits could blend together. The big soundstage is very good for orchestral music and similar. I don't think anyone would be dissapointed. Bass is fairly neutral so it could be not enough for electronic music, but to me it is just enough.

Personally the sound reminded me a lot of the classic HD580 from Sennheiser which is basically a HD600. Very similar tone and feel to it. but with a bigger soundstage and less tight bass.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #15 of 160
Personally the sound reminded me a lot of the classic HD580 from Sennheiser which is basically a HD600. Very similar tone and feel to it. but with a bigger soundstage and less tight bass.

Nicely stated.
You defined the HDZeus as co-equal to the most universally favored set ofHeadphones ever created within the History of sound.
The HD600.
So, that can't be a bad recommendation.:)

When i listen to the Zeus, i find the soundstage much wider then the HD600, the treble overall much more pleasing, as its silky yet detailed.
Mids are much different, as the HD600 has a more forward leaning not quite shouty midrange, while the Zeus's midrage is more Linear, wider, and more refined.
The Zeus has a warm and comfortable tone that is also quite detailed.
Its sound is a brilliant marriage between sonic detail and tonal sweetness.

I think of it like this..... As Planar is to High Def sound, so the Zeus is to Analog sounding...
Its sort of like the difference between Digital photography, vs, a Film Camera and Film, specifically Kodachrome.
In both case, you can get tack sharp photographic likeness, but in the case of the Film Camera, as in the case of Analog sound, there is something....ummmmm...... lifelike and intrinsic, = something more human about it.
Hard to define it, but, its certainly palpable and real.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back