Harmon Kardon EP730 SQ similar as ER4P?
Dec 8, 2009 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

geralt_ll

Head-Fier
I've been eyeing the Etys ER4P for the longest time, but never had the opportunity to audition them. This is rather unfortunate because at this point of time I have the Trips and IE8 boths having very different sonic qualities.

So today I chanced upon the Harmon Kardon EP730. I've read that it has different sound qualities than the similar Altec Lansing version. I tried the Harmon Kardon at HF mode and at B mode, and I felt it to be severely lacking in soundstage. The articulation was sub par, and at certain points,could not achieve the clarity to match my UE SF3. They are not engaging, and comparing to SoundMagic Pl30s- I would reach for them anytime.

Thus, I'd like to know if I should expect similar qualities from the ER4P? With IE8 and Livewire Trips, would the ER4P be complementary?

Much appreciated.

PS: Still rather new, and I'm not used to the 'jargon' used in describing SQ, or sonic qualities.

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 4
I happen to have both the sf3 and the ep730 and I disagree on your findings. I find the ep730 much detailed than the sf3. The ep730 are more transparent than the sf3 especially when amped. for slower acoustic music I prefer the sf3 and for faster music I prefer ep730.

The ep730/ety sound is not everyone's cup of tea

Dec 9, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 4
To be more specific, my UE SF3 SQ is slightly altered. The original cable broke and I'm using it with ES2. I know that ever since I switched the cable, there is a existential difference from the stock condition.

So in this regard, should I consider ER4P still? I listen to rock mostly, and I like the IE8 SQ, next up would be W3, and at the bottom end PL30.
It does seem bass is very important to me, because the IEMs that I currently have is not bass anemic in that sense. I find the bass in the Livewires Trips acceptable too.

My source is a Sansa Fuze, connected to a simple, no frills amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back