Harman Kardon/AKG - Support Issue Resolved
Mar 7, 2020 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Markfm

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of AKG-N60NC wireless headphones. They were purchased early in 2018, are still in production, for sale at multiple sites including AKG themselves.

The left retaining tab, where the earcup swivel is, broke. It's a small plastic part, held on by two torx screws, clearly a trivial at-home fix item.

HK/AKG support refuses to sell the part. For a supplier to not support a $300 pair of headphones that are still in production is entirely unacceptable. Essentially they are trying to force me to add to pollution by throwing away fairly new electronics for want of a $2 piece of plastic that is clearly replaceable.
akg n60nc  left retaining tab broken.jpg

The headphones perform beautifully for my use, are very comfortable, however this shaft-the-user support is ridiculous.

Hopefully HK/AKG will correct this short-sighted approach.

(I'm only posting here after multiple attempts to achieve successful resolution via Harman's support e-mail, an exercise in futility.)

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 5
Latest from HK customer support:
we do not have this part on our end nor it is stocked at our parts warehouse.

It's small, plastic, attached with 2 screws. Replacement would take under 2 minutes.

What is wrong with HK/AKG? They should either stock and sell such an easily replaced part, or if their position is that it should never fail they should replace the unit, as a latent defect.

0308201415akg2.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 5
Latest from HK customer support:
we do not have this part on our end nor it is stocked at our parts warehouse.

It's small, plastic, attached with 2 screws. Replacement would take under 2 minutes.

What is wrong with HK/AKG? They should either stock and sell such an easily replaced part, or if their position is that it should never fail they should replace the unit, as a latent defect.

0308201415akg2.jpg

I’m sorry to hear about your crap experience. Just had a thought that might be helpful, though. Since it seems like a fairly simple plastic part, I wonder if you can remove the unbroken piece from the other side and find a company or an individual with a 3D printer to scan it and replicate the part for you. I admit, I know very little about 3D printing, so anyone else who happens to read this and knows more on the topic, please chime in.

Mar 9, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 5
Yay - HK/AKG just contacted me, will provide a courtesy replacement set of headphones, I just have to return the originals.

It took some nudging, but their team did come through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back