Harman International in Trouble
Sep 24, 2007 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cyanbomb

100+ Head-Fier
Hey was just reading the paper today, and saw this:

8b buyout of audio products firm cancelled

FOR the first time in a two-year private equity acquisition frenzy, buyers have walked out of a major deal.
Last Friday, Harman International Industries said its private equity buyers are pulling out of their US$8 billion buyout deal. Harman's shares fell more than 25 per cent that day.
The audio equipment maker said that Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co (KKR) and Goldman Sachs Group's private equity arm believe a "material adverse change" occured in Harman's business and that it breached the merger agreement.
Harman said in a one-paragraph statement that it disagrees such a change occurred and that it did not violate the buyout contract.
KKR and Goldman's decision not only affects Harman, but could have broader repercussions for the firms and the leveraged buyout sector as it comes at a sensitive time. The credit crunch has threatened to scuttle some buyouts, forcing banks stuck with loans to renegotiate deals.
But the Harman bailout looks centred on the financial status of the firm and not the lending agreement. It faces issues such as rising inventories and falling cash flows and sales in the last few quarters, said merger arbitrage traders and an analyst.
Harman had announced the buyout earler in April.

REUTERS

"Rising inventories", "falling cash flows and sales" looks ominous. Even the guys supposed to buy Harman pulled out. Any new products released by the Harman group might be prone to cost-cutting, so perhaps we should start scrutinizing their new products carefully before buying. Of course, all this is just my opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 12
It probably has more to due with turmoil in the markets, and the fact anything smacking of real estate, private equity or hedge funds is now viewed with suspicion and they can no longer easily raise money to fund their acquisitions. Accusing the company is one way to renege on a commitment without exposing yourself to penalties.

Sep 24, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It probably has more to due with turmoil in the markets, and the fact anything smacking of real estate, private equity or hedge funds is now viewed with suspicion and they can no longer easily raise money to fund their acquisitions. Accusing the company is one way to renege on a commitment without exposing yourself to penalties.

Hedge funds? What about Bear Stearns?

Sep 24, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 12
so no new K1K
confused.gif

honestly sounds pretty horrible for AKGs planned new flagship phones ! ..

Sep 24, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by PolkManiac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, did not know that they owned AKG, Lexicon and mark levinson...

And Infinity, JBL and others...

Sep 24, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by utilisateur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so no new K1K
confused.gif

honestly sounds pretty horrible for AKGs planned new flagship phones ! ..

hmmm, i guess i've been too busy tending to home and work to keep up with the latest can rumors. what new akg flagship phones are you referring too? i hadn't heard of any 701 toppers, k1k or k340 reinventions etc.

Sep 24, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 12
I Hate HK. I hope they loose everything. They buy up audio companies like we buy music, and they run them into the ground, person out the name, and try to hype them so that they are a more marketable (read equitable) asset. Don't get me wrong - that's busines, I understand. It's just that there have been some great audio companies with great reputations that have been hurt under HK's giant audio umbrella. I'd rather see a company be owned by someone who loves the brand and is loyal to it, thus preserving it.

Levinson and JBL particularly.

Sep 25, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 12
I'm sure we'll be seeing more audio brands in trouble. We Head-Fiers should band together and buy AKG, just as the Stax employees did.

Laz

Sep 25, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure we'll be seeing more audio brands in trouble. We Head-Fiers should band together and buy AKG, just as the Stax employees did.

Laz

I agree completely. It's up to us to stand behind the brands truly worth saving, like AKG. In fact, I just bought myself a pair this past week.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back